Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rational thoughtful power tool reviews?

Wink Rational thoughtful power tool reviews?

Who in anyone's opinion has the best power tool reviews?

Much of the modern Asian stuff is made in the same factories (google Geetech and global partners) and the differences in tools are fairly minor in many cases. Most power tool reviews are not that informative, be they in a magazine, on a website, on YouTube, or whatever.

Hand tool side of the workshop is working out like a banshee and I am very happy with it, going to spend 2017 and 2018 buying a few power tools.

Who do you all trust and like for reviews and information?

Chris

There's no one source for me. I'll take everything into consideration and make my own decision - magazines, forums, Amazon reviews, independent website reviews, YouTube, etc.

By far the best reviews are AvE (formerly arduinovsevil) on youtube.

He's an experienced engineer with nothing to sell who buys tools, tears them apart, and describes the engineering decisions that went into them.

For me, the best education on which machines to get next, is from the people in the local woodworking guild.

I like the reviews in Journal of Light Construction. They are oriented toward construction type tools of course, but there is some overlap with woodworking. The tools get used by construction crews on jobs for generally a few months, and then you get real world pros and cons. For things like drills and drivers they usually do battery life (how many 3" screws can it drive into an LVL" tests.

For more woodworking oriented stuff, I feel I can trust the Fine Woodworking and Wood Magazine reviews. But like Matt said, try to use as many sources as I can find.

Are you talking about machines or hand power tools?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My favorite reviewer is Roland Johnson, but I have found few rational power tool reviews where machines from different manufacturers are tested side-by-side. The reason is that most places that test the machines or tools also have advertising. That said, I do read Fine Woodworking for reviews and pay attention to the consumer choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Are you talking about machines or hand power tools?
    Power tools-specifically larger stationary tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    My favorite reviewer is Roland Johnson, but I have found few rational power tool reviews where machines from different manufacturers are tested side-by-side. The reason is that most places that test the machines or tools also have advertising. That said, I do read Fine Woodworking for reviews and pay attention to the consumer choices.
    I will check out Roland Johnson, thank you for your input

Like you, I've looked for honest reviews but generally find that my own preconceptions can make these hard to recognize in large part because most reviewer, including, I often think, people working for companies like ConsumerReports, are directly or indirectly paid shills.

In the end it always seems to come down to the amount of effort the mfg (or importer/brander) puts into developing and maintaining its quality reputation; what people who use, but don't sell, the product say; and my own impressions after a few minutes with the more interesting of the two or three that seem to meet the job requirements.

In this brand management is a big deal: I'd pick toyoto over chevy even when the cars come out of the same factory, are made by the same people, and are made from the same parts, because toyoto works harder at its reputation and this gives me more leverage, as one customer among many, if/when things go wrong. Similarly, grizzly over rikon, but both similarly and dissimilarly Jenn-Air over KichenAid because that's a case where brand management is the diferentiator within one company.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    Like you, I've looked for honest reviews but generally find that my own preconceptions can make these hard to recognize in large part because most reviewer, including, I often think, people working for companies like ConsumerReports, are directly or indirectly paid shills.

In the end it always seems to come down to the amount of effort the mfg (or importer/brander) puts into developing and maintaining its quality reputation; what people who use, but don't sell, the product say; and my own impressions after a few minutes with the more interesting of the two or three that seem to meet the job requirements.

In this brand management is a big deal: I'd pick toyoto over chevy even when the cars come out of the same factory, are made by the same people, and are made from the same parts, because toyoto works harder at its reputation and this gives me more leverage, as one customer among many, if/when things go wrong. Similarly, grizzly over rikon, but both similarly and dissimilarly Jenn-Air over KichenAid because that's a case where brand management is the diferentiator within one company.
    I think Grizzly is perhaps an under rated company. Don't own any of their products but everyone I talk to who does seems to love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I think Grizzly is perhaps an under rated company. Don't own any of their products but everyone I talk to who does seems to love them.
    I think a lot of it rolls out of the same factories. The better colors just do a little more QC before it gets painted.

I know I live in a dream world but just for once I'd like to see similar machines within a price range really graded on quality relative to the price differences. How flat are the surfaces machined. How thick are the castings. Break up and test the cast iron for content and quality. Same with the steel. Compare bearings. Bench test the motors and compare them to their plate ratings. Run them under load for about a week and test them again. ( show them to a motor rewind guy and he will tell you in minutes which are the best ) Compare the gearing, plastic, pot metal, bronze or steel, helical or spur. You get the picture. All might perform the same out of the box but we would all learn something about machinery and be better able to judge for ourselves. Spend an hour with anyone who repairs and understands how machines work and you will learn more than you could ever imagine. Machine reviewers should have that knowledge- in addition to being woodworkers. Dave

I don't use any certain review. If I'm thinkin' about investin' in a certain tool, this is the first place I come to & ask. Most of the guys here are knowledgeable about equipment because they already own it. I own most all the wood tools I need, for now, its the add ons I ask about. good luck
    Sawdust703

I like Dave's dream world. The fact that the big mags don't to any of that says something. It's quick and easy to assembly a machine and use it for a bit, and unfortunately most ww'ers don't necessarily care about Daves level of detail but instead just cost. Until something fails the day after the warranty expires of course.