Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Format sliding saws

Format sliding saws

This is an Austrian Company similar to Felder....does anyone know about the company and machines?

http://www.format-4.com/fs_main.php3...chinenprogramm
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It is Felder's flagship line. Just got their catalog in the mail the other day. Looks like beautiful stuff, although I have no hands on experience with any of their tools. Needless to say, very high end. I think their Kappa X-Motion saw would look rather dashing in your shop...

Dan

I believe John Renzetti has one. As I understand it, the Felder line goes from Hammer, Felder 700 series, Felder 900 series, Format 4, all coming out of the same factory with some overlap of components and features.

Format-4 is indeed Felder's top-of-the line. You'll drop $25K+ on one of those saws. They're really intended for the professional shop or the serious hobbyist for whom money isn't a real concern. I still believe that the best choices for a typical home shop from the Felder line would be the 700 series "S" (long chassis) saw/shaper and the 951 (20") jointer/planer. If you have the space and money and plan to do a lot of shaper work, then moving to separates for the saw and shaper makes sense and upgrading to the 900 series.

Frankly, if I were going to look at a Format-4, I'd consider spending the extra and go all the way to a Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Frankly, if I were going to look at a Format-4, I'd consider spending the extra and go all the way to a Martin.
    I saw the SCM Vangaurd in Vegas. It won some award for tool of the year or something and it is, without a doubt the nicest slider I have ever seen... Maybe they would take a trade in on a car, a truck or a kid...

The Format 4 stuff looked pretty too, but not sure if it has caught up with the big dogs yet, SCMi, Altendorf and Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    This is an Austrian Company similar to Felder....does anyone know about the company and machines?

http://www.format-4.com/fs_main.php3...chinenprogramm
    Uh-ooooohhhhh.... I think someone is going to have to bump out the back end of their shop!!! Can I have your square store front window extrusion???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks for the link Mark. It's nice to dream, isn't it.

hmmm I smell an upgrade in the works

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    hmmm I smell an upgrade in the works

lou
    Well....thinking always thinking... I do have a new J/P on order...

Well....thinking always thinking... I do have a new J/P on order...
    Which J/P did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    Which J/P did you buy?
    Dan,
    MM FS 41.....is that a good choice?

Very nice looking equip.but alas,.its a way out of my ballpark.Been fighting with myself concerning buying a new Shop Fox,Unisaw,or General.Dont know who is gonna win,me or myself.

Dan,
    MM FS 41.....is that a good choice?
    I looked at the FS30 very carefully when I was shopping for a J/P last year. I was particularly impressed with the overall fit & finish of the machine, and the jointer table raising & tilt mechanism. Very tight and smooth. Your machine has a different mechanism for the jointer tables, I think? Well anyway, considering that the FS30 is the entry level model for MM and that it is impressively refined, I can only imagine how nice your FS41 will be. I look forward to seeing the projects that this addition to your shop will spawn.

Dan

I think Chris P has one of them fancy aircraft carrier looking thingy bobbers, but bet it ain't been used for more than a picture prop and box holder.....

It's just a little drive up the coast for you Mark (what like 8 hours) to take it for a test drive.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

The Format-4 is nice stuff, Mark! Ya better like "Blue" however... Seriously, these sliders are the cat's meow in many ways. I hope to have one in my stable someday, although it will likely not be the Format-4 only because of cost. (The Prize Patrol always misses my driveway and I keep forgetting to buy a winning PowerBall ticket!) Probably MiniMax for me...but you never know!

John R can give you all kinds of information about the Format-4 as he's pretty intimate with the line!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...