Thread: This year's production

This year's production

I had some time to turn last month and haven't posted any work for awhile. So here is what I turned in January. The dark wood on the top of the hollow form and the lid with the antler is kolohala, or pheasant wood, that a friend of my cousin on Maui sent me. We will be going to Maui later this month so I have sent this photo and offered my cousin and her friend their choice of turnings.

Recent turnings 1-17.jpg

Very elegant! Every piece. Gonna be tough to pick from that grouping.

Beautiful. What is the glossy finish on these?

Very nice work. I also was wondering about the finish. Very well done. No favorite, I like them all.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Lovely turnings! I especially liked the imaginative handle top for the one on the far right.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

The gloss finish is a homemade version of WOP. 50-50 Minwax gloss poly and mineral spirits applied with a folded paper towel. The one on the end with the antler is a little darker. That is a light coat of Mahoney's utility finish applied with 400 grit sand paper. Then a little shellac applied with a rag while the oil is still wet and spun up at speed sort of like a French polish. When dry I apply a few coats of the 50% Minwax poly.

Marty, the "imaginative handle" is yet another idea stolen from someone's post on Sawmillcreek, a great place for inspiration and ideas. I think the idea for the vase with the square top came from the same place ;-)

Beautiful turnings! I really like the box with lid on the right. That is beautiful, and I for some reason am partial to those type of turnings right now. Very cool.
    USMC '97-'01

Paul, very nice, I really like the red one and the one to the far right.

Nice work and you are getting some very nice curly maple! And, I am partial to antler embellishments on turnings.

Left click my name for homepage link.

All very beautiful. Details on the red one?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    The gloss finish is a homemade version of WOP. 50-50 Minwax gloss poly and mineral spirits applied with a folded paper towel. The one on the end with the antler is a little darker. That is a light coat of Mahoney's utility finish applied with 400 grit sand paper. Then a little shellac applied with a rag while the oil is still wet and spun up at speed sort of like a French polish. When dry I apply a few coats of the 50% Minwax poly.

Marty, the "imaginative handle" is yet another idea stolen from someone's post on Sawmillcreek, a great place for inspiration and ideas. I think the idea for the vase with the square top came from the same place ;-)

Awesome. I'm going to try the minwax gloss poly with mineral spirits combo. I've been struggling to get a super gloss finish. I have sanded to a glass finish and have applied paste wax and buffed to a gloss finish but neither keep the gloss wet look for long. Thanks again.