Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Times UP - I need a 3hp shaper - recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Just order the doors and drawers
    That's my take as well.

I thought only the more expensive shapers ran at 10,000 rpm or above. Jet made that small router table/shaper that ran at high speeds with the ability to use both router and shaper bits, but I think that is a 2HP motor.

Sam, did you see the vintage Delta Rockwell for $250 in Maine? It says the 3 phase motor needs a capacitor. That seems strange. But you could get a replacement motor for a lot less than your budget and covert it to split phase or put a VFD on it and keep the 3 phase motor. Those full sized Delta machines were monsters.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 02-05-2017 at 2:57 PM.

Never looked up the serial numbers or such but I think the 8000 are older and were meant to be used with steel cutters. The little shaper manual that they put out long time ago only addresses steel cutters. I think the ones with 10,000 came in
    when carbide stuff started.

10k rpm is the max rpm of any shaper I have ever owned. That is screaming for a large machine.

4500 to 7000 rpm is perfect speeds for most typical shaper cutters.

I have several heads that are only rated for 6k rpm.

Just order the doors and drawers
    Well - there is always that but why would I turn away that much work for want of one machine? Yes, buying a shaper will cut into the profit but the shaper will still be there when the job is done to make me more money. With manufacturing, finishing and install this represents a great job for me. Just need 1 new tool (and a few accessories).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I thought only the more expensive shapers ran at 10,000 rpm or above. Jet made that small router table/shaper that ran at high speeds with the ability to use both router and shaper bits, but I think that is a 2HP motor.

Sam, did you see the vintage Delta Rockwell for $250 in Maine? It says the 3 phase motor needs a capacitor. That seems strange. But you could get a replacement motor for a lot less than your budget and covert it to split phase or put a VFD on it and keep the 3 phase motor. Those full sized Delta machines were monsters.
    Thanks Rich. I'll go look again. I have until the end of April so something right could turn up. Posting today to start getting my head around the options.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Just order the doors and drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Well - there is always that but why would I turn away that much work for want of one machine? Yes, buying a shaper will cut into the profit but the shaper will still be there when the job is done to make me more money. With manufacturing, finishing and install this represents a great job for me. Just need 1 new tool (and a few accessories).

Because you don't have the space or budget to do it correctly.

You can find some deals on shapers, but you can figure heads will be about $600 a pop with knives and backers, you'll need at least two. A power feeder is $1200-ish for an eight speed, four wheeler. A $1500 budget doesn't go very far.

Sam,

I have two 3 hp Delta shapers with 3/4" spindles. I have plenty of power for one pass. I have one Power feeder which is really handy.

Sam

I would advise against any Delta shaper. Spindles are hard to come by if they aren't included. If you want a router bit collet, plan on looking even harder and ponying up a lot of money. There are 2 different spindles, a long and a short taper so be aware. From what I read, the bearings in the spindle cartridge are a pain to get changed. Delta is gone and not worth the hassle in my opinion.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 02-05-2017 at 4:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Because you don't have the space or budget to do it correctly.

You can find some deals on shapers, but you can figure heads will be about $600 a pop with knives and backers, you'll need at least two. A power feeder is $1200-ish for an eight speed, four wheeler. A $1500 budget doesn't go very far.
    I can still make more and work less ordering the parts, every time.

Come on over and use my shop Sam, bring a sleeping bag and beer!

I have downsized as well, but not so much the equipment, so have too much stuff in too little space. Know exactly what you are avoiding.

Just a thought Sam: Would a nice combination machine allow you to get rid of what you have and improve your space/capabilities? Its a route I have thought about myself, but for now I am attached to my current stuff. Now, if I could talk David out of the Knapp he has collecting dust, hmmm......

I made a lot of cabinet doors on a 3hp Delta before I went on my own, and when I went on my own I made a ton with a 4hp Minimax,, so what you are after is not impossible. I would at least spend some time looking for a little Minimax, the one I had was way better than a Delta, and not much bigger. I will keep an eye on the used market for you just in case a little gem comes up.

I also have a well worn 1/4hp feeder that still works fine that you can have for free.

If I can help you in any way let me know.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-05-2017 at 4:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would advise against any Delta shaper. Spindles are hard to come by if they aren't included. If you want a router bit collet, plan on looking even harder and ponying up a lot of money. There are 2 different spindles, a long and a short taper so be aware. From what I read, the bearings in the spindle cartridge are a pain to get changed. Delta is gone and not worth the hassle in my opinion.
    Hard to come by? There were probably more of those made than any other shaper. There are numerous sources for rebuilt spindles as well.
    Why do people want to run router bits in a shaper? The speed is not there for that.

I have had good luck ordering doors and drawers. Used to have employees but don't want to go there again. Ordering parts allows me to take on jobs I would have to pass on because of deadlines or because I don't want to work 24/7 anymore.

I'm going with the "just order them as well" because if you've done this for 30 years you already know that you cannot build them cheaper than a door shop.....unless you work for free??? Buy them mark them up and make money the easy way while your also making money on the stuff your building

If you do want a shaper I highly recommend used. You already mentioned you'll probably resell it down the road, a new machine will lose a huge chunk of it's value, a used won't.

That SCM is on the high side to me, and likely too big for your needs anyway, but I just looked and saw several other machines that would get it done. Oh and Delta shaper spindles are still being made and sold so no worry there.

good luck,
    JeffD

Yeah the guy in So erville with th SCMI machien has been trying to sell his shop for a while. If the price was righ the machine might be in my shop by now. Its not though because the price in NOT right and really i need want more machne than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I'm going with the "just order them as well" because if you've done this for 30 years you already know that you cannot build them cheaper than a door shop.....unless you work for free??? Buy them mark them up and make money the easy way while your also making money on the stuff your building

If you do want a shaper I highly recommend used. You already mentioned you'll probably resell it down the road, a new machine will lose a huge chunk of it's value, a used won't.

That SCM is on the high side to me, and likely too big for your needs anyway, but I just looked and saw several other machines that would get it done. Oh and Delta shaper spindles are still being made and sold so no worry there.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have a Jet 35x with the 3 hp motor and 1.25" spindle, using a 6.5" diameter raised panel cutter, it easily cut with one pass with a power feeder. It never bogged down and I ran it between 4000 to 6000 rpm.

I would make the doors - some things are never done how you would when you "custom order" them. I am just finishing my kitchen with birds eye maple panels and cherry stiles and rails.

I bought a Felder shaper in Atlanta last summer and would give you a great deal on the Jet, with loses of 3/4" cutters, mobile bast and a tenon table.