Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Shop, moving days..

Dungeon Shop, moving days..

Ok, Dresser is completed. time to get on with the Dungeon Shop Remodel Project.
    Day 1:
    cleaned off.JPG
    Hmmm, where did all the "stuff" go?
    top drawer.JPG
    Well..the top three drawers are now full...
    second drawer filled.JPG
    Still have the fourth drawer down to fill up, and the bottom one has barely sttarted to fill up.
    Plan WAS to salvage yard the dryer, to make room for the dresser to sit in.....plans were changed..
    The so-called "Working Dryer" quit working, and we tried to repair...wound up salvaging a few good spare parts, and scrap the rest.
    Moved the old dryer over into it's place..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Hooked it up, tried it out....it worked like new!
    Been trying to clean it up today. had the whole family down there, shop cat and all. Almost two trash bags were swept up from the floor. Cleaned almost $2 out of the scrapped dryer
    Took two people to move the dresser to it's new home..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Looks a bit better? The floor drain is in the corner to the left. We ran out of trash bags, before I could finish the cleaning out..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    maybe when more bags arrive?

The cleaned floor is where I work, most of the time.

Now, just have to see what else needs placed in some drawers....shop needed cleaned up, anyway...

I am doing a major organizational effort as well. Unfortunately, I'm still on the "going to get a bit messier before it can get organized proper" stage. The dresser filled up fast. Looking good.

Looks great Steve... Will more storage just feed your inner hoarder, or is that just me?

I think that God smiled on you greatly with the timing of that failure, it would have been horrid if you dumped one dryer and then the other failed.

Noah, document what you do and enlighten us as Steve has done. I can always learn from how others store their tools and make changes.

Moving right along!

Dryer has been sent to the Salvage yard as "Shredder Iron" Did not get a whole lot for 80 pounds. Oh well. Found almost as much in change inside the dryer...

I try not to work in the shop on Mondays......bad things happen. We did pick up a few more trash bags, so tomorrow I can load those up....Then find something to set in that open spot...

Have a box full of those plastic handled chisels.....might see about making a wood box, and throwing out the cardboard one.

have a lot of Pine scraps, I can either burn them in a fire pit, or make use of them.....may take more than one Brain Cell to figure that out....

Added some pictures to this update:
    floor drain and shim.JPG
    nestled back in a corner, is the sole drain for the shop. White "pipe" is the drain from the washer. I added a shim to one foot of the dresser.....floor is a bit uneven.
    mess.JPG
    By Order/ Decree of The Boss. This pile will be hauled up the stairs, and out to the trash. period.
    overview.JPG
    This is what ones sees, when they get to the bottom step. Yes, that shop light IS that bright.
    Orphans.JPG
    These I am calling The Orphans. I need a tray of some sort to set these in. ( Bonus: See how many you can ID...)
    shelf keeper.JPG
    Had a shelf that things got sat on all the time...and would also walk off onto the floor. Maybe this Keeper will stop that?
    Now, about that old cardboard box of chisels?
    box of chisels.JPG
    Need to build a better box to hold all of these.....as soon as I figure out what all is in there...
    The pine scraps?
    pine scraps.JPG
    And some 1/4" plywood cut offs. Might find some use for these.....

Nice job on the clean out. I should do some myself.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    Great progress, you should feel good about that. We're in the middle of combining two similar sized homes into one. The 'gym' and guest bath are so full of stuff it looks like an episode of "Hoarders". Getting things to the point where you have enough room to move about is the first step in the domino run to getting organized and it feels great to see some real progress. Kudos!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great progress, looking forward to seeing it next month when I come up.

Had a bunch of these to find a home for..
    Orphans.JPG
    Found places for the normal screwdrivers, and the chisels in there, still had a few to find a home for..
    yankee drills.JPG
    But, there was at least this many still upstairs.....maybe build a tote, that I can fit into the 4th drawer down in the dresser?
    Used up a few chunks of pine scraps..
    ends.JPG
    just a random angle, whatever looked good. These are for the ends.....had a longer board I THOUGHT I could use as a bottom...
    long board.JPG
    But problems arose when I tried to make the tails to match these..
    dovetail pins.JPG
    Edge grain does not do tails that well....change the plan.....Long board becomes the side of the tote....but, I didn't have a matching long board....
    glued up.JPG
    Well, after some fussing and cussing around, came up with this. Bottom is a glued and nailed 1/4" plywood scrap. I notched out for a 1x2 stiffener, and glued and screwed it in place. Final side is also a plywood panel. Also glued and nailed in place.

Waiting til tomorrow, then the clamps can come off. Then I'll see about adding a handle, and maybe even a divider or two. have to keep the "yankees" and the Millers Falls separate, right?

Just a way to store all those push drill/screwdrivers in the drawer. When needed, I can lift the tote to the bench. When not in use, I can place the tote back into Drawer #4 and keep the dust off of all the toys...stay tuned, more to come..

Well, I got the tote out of the clamps today.....and added a handle..
    tote,outside.JPG
    Didn't feel like drilling holes into the ends, so I notched the 7/8" dowel instead.
    tote handle.JPG
    Drill a pilot hole, counter sink for the screw. Add a bead of glue. Then started to fill the tote up..
    Tote, inside1.JPG
    Drills to one side, screwdrivers to the other side...drilled a few holes..
    tote inside 2.JPG
    To hold a few nail sets. Tried the tote out in the drawer..
    tote location.JPG
    handle clears the opening. Was looking a tad lonely in there, though..
    Dremel.JPG
    Been using the old OEM Stanley 45 box to store my Dremel in. It now resides in the drawer with the tote.

Boxed up the "special" planes..
    plane box.JPG
    Closed the lid..
    close the lid.JPG
    And found a place to stash it, as well..

Stashed the plane box in "plain" site, for now..
    stashed.JPG
    Then decided to rehab a plane or two......as the weather outside was...depressing..
    snow day.JPG
    Liked it down in the shop, better.
    2 plane day.JPG
    Rebuilt a "Craftsman No.4" ( late 60s model) into something a bit better, and re-did the chipbreaker on the No. 035 plane.
    Still loading up the drawers with items.....may need a "Treasure Map" when I get done...

Now, for the next little project in the Remodel job.....making a box to hold these "extras"
    extra chisels.JPG
    Might be "fun" to do? Stay tuned....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-08-2017 at 4:51 PM.

Spent today cleaning up a few block planes.....Started to put the "new" ones into the spaces in the til.......I have 12 block planes, but only enough spaces for 11? Either I need a different til for them, or I need to thin the herd a bit...

Will get a few pictures, next time I wander down that way.........could be I have too many block planes? Maybe? nah....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-09-2017 at 8:55 PM.

Hi Steven,

If you have one more block plane than you have spaces for, I am not following how "I need to thick the hear a bit" will help that situation. I can see how "thinning" the herd might help....but "thicking" it ?

I can speaking from personal experience that "thicking" my herd of hand saws, that was already too thick, did not in any way help my storage situation..

Just kidding.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-09-2017 at 8:55 PM.

Spell check didn't catch it......maybe it should have been Cull the Herd........Used to do that, every time the headcount got to be over 15......

The "extra" is more of a "parts" plane, anyway......an H1249, at that.