Thread: Starbond EM-02 or 40

Starbond EM-02 or 40

For filling small cracks in the ends/sides of cutting boards which viscosity is best? I'm thinking the EM - 02 is too thin.
    Confession / not a turner but you guys use the CA glue!

Well it's about time that the superior Intellect, craftsmanship and skill of turners is properly recognized!

If it were me, I would use both. The thin stuff first. Being low in viscosity will allow it to penetrate deep into the crack where the thick stuff cannot get. Then follow up with the thick, before the thin sets. The thin will allow a better wicking effect, and thin the viscosity on the edges of the thick stuff, creating a graduated viscosity. The thick is a better filler, and the thin gets in deep. How is that for pseudo science. I have no proof that this actually works, but it seems to do well for me on cracks that get narrower as they get closer to solid wood.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I know what you are saying. That is exactly what I do thin first than medium or thick, works every time.

Thanks turners!!

I use Starbond. They make Thin, Medium Thin, Medium, Medium Thick, & Gel. Each has a different gap filling use.
    The also have an accelerator that comes in aresol or pump. My Woodturning club has a store that sells these Starbond
    products. They buy in bulk and pass the savings on to the members.

Kevin, ever seen a product called q-bond? (A ca glue that saturates a granular filler base to repair many things outside woodworking.)
    The medium thin watery enough to do that?

I looked up Q-Bond and it looked like it comes in 3/4 oz bottles. I don't think it would saturate hard stuff like Corian, Granite or metal. Good luck, Kevin