Thread: Jorgensen Handscrews

Jorgensen Handscrews

Been looking for Jorgensen handscrews to fill a couple of gaps in my selection before all the original made in USA have completely evaporated.

Found a size 0 I need. The logo is Jorgensen and it is stamped with the Adjustable Clamp Company stamp, but it is most definitely not Hard Maple like all the rest of my Jorgensens. The wood, both jaws and handles, is darker and has a reddish tint. Also has a 0 stamped in the butt end of each jaw. Had not seen that before either.

Anyone know if Jorgensen used some other wood during US production and what it might be?

It is definitely not one of the Jorgensen marked Chinese imports now on Amazon.

Thank you for any info,

Tom

Tom, I was able to find some small Jorgenson hand screws at Menards. This was a few months ago. They were intermingled with the inexpensive ones that would be there on a moving forward basis. It looks like I got the last few. They were on a bottom shelf and I had to get down there and dig around a bit. Maybe your local Menards will have a couple hiding in the back for you.

The cheapies were a few bucks less and are clearly inferior. Besides fit and finish, the biggest problem was that the faces do not align (side to side) when you close the clamp. Even on small clamps, they were off by as much as a half inch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Tom, I was able to find some small Jorgenson hand screws at Menards. This was a few months ago. They were intermingled with the inexpensive ones that would be there on a moving forward basis. It looks like I got the last few. They were on a bottom shelf and I had to get down there and dig around a bit. Maybe your local Menards will have a couple hiding in the back for you.

The cheapies were a few bucks less and are clearly inferior. Besides fit and finish, the biggest problem was that the faces do not align (side to side) when you close the clamp. Even on small clamps, they were off by as much as a half inch.
    The only problem with that is there doesn't seem to be any Menards in the Pacific Northwest. The closest Menards appears to be in Wyoming.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tom,
    Take a look at Wooden Handscrew Clamps by Dubuque,. You can find them on the Web site - Tools for Working Wood.
    Random ROG

I second what Roger said about any of the clamps made in Dubuque, IA. They are still nicer than anything made by Jorgenson in recent years in the USA.

Are the ones Lie Nielsen sells rebranded Dubuque?

Thank goodness I got more handscrews than I'll ever need at yard sales!

The LN clamps are from DuBuque. They also make great aluminum bar clamps.

Thank you all for the tip on Menards and the Dubuque Clamp Company. One or the other will work out.

Did anyone have any opinion on the Hard Maple question?

Tom

When a company is going out of business their products sometimes may be a little sketchy....using up old materials, etc. The Adjustable Clamps Co. made a rather hasty exit.