Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Estate Sale find of the year!

Estate Sale find of the year!

Hi woodworkers,

My name is Sam and I am a hobby woodworker just getting started. I hate to come on here and gloat about a good find but from reading the boards I know this group likes a good estate sale find story.

2 months ago I had been looking for some hand tools to get the essentials to be able to do some projects as well as teach myself how to properly use things like chisels and hand planes. I had found a few old stanley planes at a second hand store and was happy as can be to start messing with them and learning to restore them. I reached out to an instagrammer who sells vintage tools for advice on how to restore and where to look for good vintage tools for cheap. He suggested estate sales so I took a look. Luckily there was a woodworkers estate sale 3 days away about 10 minutes from my house. Needless to say I went and was 3rd in line of about 30 ppl. I headed straight for the hand planes/chisels cabinet and asked the guy running it for a price. He said he would sell me both the hand planes and chisels for $250. I quickly say a rack of Bessey clamps and asked the price, $175. YES TO BOTH! I loaded those in my car and came back in for more, bought some hand saws (new) router bits and odds and ends woodworking tools for another $50. I skipped over loads of items i could have used just because my adrenaline was so high from my big score. I went to a meeting for work and the next day stopped back in to see what was left. To my surprise there was a band saw sitting there still. I made the guy an offer of $250 and he took it. It's a Rikon 18in 10-345 in nearly perfect condition! Now for the good part, all in all I ended up with about 35 different planes (Lie Nielsen, Veritas and Clifton) and 100 chisels of various brands (all high end) This guy was a serious craftsman and only bought the best. I am just happy I get to be the one to use his tools. Overall I spent $700 but should have spent about $3000. Now I need to teach myself how to use them! Again, sorry to gloat but I figured this was the group that would appreciate the story!
    IMG_6924.JPGIMG_6914.JPGIMG_6909.JPGIMG_6905.JPGIMG_6908.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-08-2017 at 1:08 PM.

You got the deal of the century....now have fun making sawdust!

Also, the two jointer planes, the large wooden one and the low angle one should both prove to be extremely useful tools.

and welcome. I can't believe you bought the band saw for $250... I wont believe it.

half the threads here are gloats, the other half are vailed gloats

Thanks Guys! I did an itemized list of retail prices of each item and almost started crying (tears of joy)

Wow, unbelievable!

Clearly, the guy running the sale did not have a single clue of the real value of those high quality planes and chisels.

Unfortunately he passed away and an estate sale company was running the sale, apparently they weren't aware of the value either...😏

Congratulations. Those tools appear to be going into the hands of someone who appreciates them.

Great finds, Samuel. Would like to know the name of the company that ran the Estate Sale so that I can leave a note in my will about never using them :-)

This was the real life version of that old joke about how when the woodworker dies he hopes his wife doesn't sell his tools for what he told her he paid for them!

A dream estate sale! Great scores.

Congrats Sam! We all dream of hitting a sale like this!

That's why my tools are going in the hole with me.
    I don't like seeing gloats like this.
    Its going to be a big hole.
    Aj

Estate sales are a great place to find things cheap - they're priced to sell that weekend, because the estate sales folks earn a commission on what they sell, not what's left over.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-08-2017 at 6:47 PM. Reason: removed banned phrase.

I cannot stand these threads!! They are just hate-filled and oozing with excre ....Oh, ahhhh, ...wait - that was just me. Never mind.

(Nice score!)