Thread: Grizzly G0555P. Is it worth $400 used?

Grizzly G0555P. Is it worth $400 used?

Hi,
    I am thinking about buying a used Grizzly bandsaw in good shape. Owner said it was bought in about 2011. Is it worth $400? I have included a photo.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 02-08-2017 at 6:12 PM.

I think so.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ward View Post
    I think so.
    The Grizzly G0555 series retail for about $550. Do bandsaws keep their value? It seems this is one tool that sellers don't advertise their price anywhere close to 1/2 off retail. Just wondering if that is simply what I should expect.

It's a decent price. I'm sure you could do better but could also do worse. I have a thread on here about the tension components if you ever need to know anything about them. I haven't been using mine the last few weeks due to falling behind in school but I'm satisfied with mine. Good luck.

I am no expert but I would consider that to be high. Unless they are throwing several new blades in. Since you can buy new shipped to your door for about $664 with a 1 year warranty. I would consider $350 more in line if it's in excellent shape.

6. I got a used non-polar bear version with a riser block, a kreg fence and a bunch of blades for $425 a few months ago. It's been a great saw.

I'm in on the consensus - if you need a saw now/soon, then that's a reasonable price, but you'll probably do better if you can be patient, or talk the seller down a bit.

I agree with Dave. It's a decent price. If it's in good condition and you need a solid, basic saw, this is a reasonable choice.

If you are envision cutting thicker material often, then you'd do better to hold out for a heavier, larger saw.

Quote Originally Posted by David J Blackburn View Post
    I got a used non-polar bear version with a riser block, a kreg fence and a bunch of blades for $425 a few months ago. It's been a great saw.

I'm in on the consensus - if you need a saw now/soon, then that's a reasonable price, but you'll probably do better if you can be patient, or talk the seller down a bit.
    I would agree on both accounts, but for some reason lately band saws have been holding their value/selling for more $. I am looking for a decnet used saw myself, and it seems like everything is pretty much beat to death or top $.

You also do not have to pay freight with this saw...I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ward View Post
    I think so.

That would be two of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I agree with Dave. It's a decent price. If it's in good condition and you need a solid, basic saw, this is a reasonable choice.

If you are envision cutting thicker material often, then you'd do better to hold out for a heavier, larger saw.
    And then larger, heavier saw becomes a slippery slope...one I find myself falling down quite rapidly.

Prices are usually regional. Where are you? I see palm trees in the background. California, Arizona, Florida? I don't know about CA or FL but if it was in AZ I'd tell you that you can do better with a little patience. If that saw has some extras as mentioned like blades AND some after market guides (like Carter) then it's probably a good deal. If everything is basic, comes the one blade on it then it's not a bad deal. That's my $0.02 anyway.

Thank you all. I think I will wait for a better deal. It just seems to close to retail price. for about $200 more I can buy brand new and with a warranty. Mainly because nobody screamed "jump on it"

A new one is $575 + $89 shipping. I'd buy it at $400--a good buy.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Pinzon View Post
    Thank you all. I think I will wait for a better deal. It just seems to close to retail price. for about $200 more I can buy brand new and with a warranty. Mainly because nobody screamed "jump on it"
    If you are looking at cutting wood rather than saving money, I would actually wait and get a Laguna 14 12 or similar. Also, for that size (14 inch) saw, one can find nice older made in America Delta units in that price range ($400) if one is patient. the Grizzly is a nice tool, but I would take an American made Delta over the Griz all day long. Also, in terms of warranty, not much can go wrong with these saws, they are simple machines. Bearings, tires motors and belts should be all you would need to keep the thing running for a couple of centuries, and all of the above are available online or locally in most major cities.

People are still using 1940's and 1950's Delta units on a daily basis, brand new should not make much of a difference unless the machine in question has seen abuse or heavy corrosion or something. Also, buying Ugly machines that need minor repairs can be an excellent way to save $ if you are careful.

That is fine advice I am sure, but I have owned two grizzly saws and I think they cut just fine. they performed as advertised. There may be better saws but these were good for me.