Thread: Looking to Improve my Sawstop Jobsite Saw

Looking to Improve my Sawstop Jobsite Saw

I have a small shop in my detached 1 car garage, so I needed a table saw that I could fold away, I went with the SawStop Jobsite saw, I've been reasonably happy with it thus far. But, I'd like to improve the accuracy of it.

I find that that I need to re-square the blade and fence often, no big deal, but I'm looking to make some upgrades.

The Only thing I can find to improve the table is the ZCI insert from cauliflower, but can't seem to find much feedback on it.

Anyone make any any improvements to the Saw?
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 02-09-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Don't understand "bun cauliflower"?

I have that saw. Haven't had to mess with the fence at all, it's right on. I did re-square the blade, but only because I wanted to see if I could get it any closer than it already was, which was damn close. It's not a cabinet saw, but I couldn't find a better saw of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Don't understand "bun cauliflower"?

I have that saw. Haven't had to mess with the fence at all, it's right on. I did re-square the blade, but only because I wanted to see if I could get it any closer than it already was, which was damn close. It's not a cabinet saw, but I couldn't find a better saw of that size.

Meant to write from

heres the product btw

http://www.colliflower-zci.com/all-p...op-jobsite-zci

OK, I wasn't aware of that throat plate, so I can't comment on it. What kind of problem are you having with the stock one?

I did have a conversation with SawStop support about this. The plate that came with mine was fine. Solid phenolic and plenty sturdy. There was a sticker attached, however, that said that this plate was "upgraded" and that I might get a different one if I ordered a replacement. I thought that odd. Knowing that I'd probably be needing a new one when I got a thin kerf blade, I called them and asked how to get another "upgraded" plate. The lady, very knowledgable and nice, said she was pretty sure if I ordered a new one that it would be the upgraded version. If not, call her and she'd make it right. Apparently, there was a transitional period during which they weren't sure whichway they were going to go. I did order and got the good one.

I suppose if you were going to be changing blades a lot, the one you linked to might make sense, but to me, $110 is pretty steep for something like that without a track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    OK, I wasn't aware of that throat plate, so I can't comment on it. What kind of problem are you having with the stock one?

I did have a conversation with SawStop support about this. The plate that came with mine was fine. Solid phenolic and plenty sturdy. There was a sticker attached, however, that said that this plate was "upgraded" and that I might get a different one if I ordered a replacement. I thought that odd. Knowing that I'd probably be needing a new one when I got a thin kerf blade, I called them and asked how to get another "upgraded" plate. The lady, very knowledgable and nice, said she was pretty sure if I ordered a new one that it would be the upgraded version. If not, call her and she'd make it right. Apparently, there was a transitional period during which they weren't sure whichway they were going to go. I did order and got the good one.

I suppose if you were going to be changing blades a lot, the one you linked to might make sense, but to me, $110 is pretty steep for something like that without a track record.

When I got my Saw I had that same sticker on it. I don't have any specific issue, just not always getting 100% square cuts and the fence is not as precise as I would like.

Was as curious if anyone has made any upgrades to the fence/table, or has seen any benefits with the aftermarket inserts from Cauliflower.

Couple of things I don't like about the fence:

It's not anchored on the outfeed end. I spoke with the support woman about that, too, and she insisted that it wasn't a problem. I'm not gonna defend what she said, because it just doesn't make sense to me, although I have to say that it hasn't been a problem in my use of it. I can't really criticize what she said, because I can't disprove it. (She did say that they hear that a lot.)

Micro-adjustments of the fence are not easily done, like when you're trying to adjust for a 1/16" thin rip. Every time you tap or nudge the fence and lock it down, the fence re-squares itself and the movement throws it off. It can be done, but it's not easy.

As I said, I've had zero trouble with keeping the blade square or keeping the fence parallel. I don't know of any after market devices that would address those for you.

I don't know if it's an option with that particular tool, but one way that folks over the years have dealt with the constant inaccuracy and adjustment needs relative to the fences with job site saws used for "fine woodworking" was to eliminate the OEM fence and put the tool in a stand that had an integrated, more accurate fence. I had something like that I used with a (gasp) Craftsman "screamer" back in the late 1990s in a one car garage shop and it dramatically improved the usability of the saw. You could build something like that and retain the ability to fold things away.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...