Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need 16" J/P advice

I was talking to my Felder/Hammer rep the other day and they were saying since the tables are so big and heaby on the 16" j/p, the tables would come out of adjustment more often than on the 12". Has anyone had this issue come up? I am more than likely going with a 16" but was just curious as to everyone's experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D Matson View Post
    I was talking to my Felder/Hammer rep the other day and they were saying since the tables are so big and heaby on the 16" j/p, the tables would come out of adjustment more often than on the 12". Has anyone had this issue come up? I am more than likely going with a 16" but was just curious as to everyone's experience.
    That sounds like someone who has a bunch of 12" j/p machines to sell. Can you imagine Felder or Minimax, or any other company building 16" machines that came out of adjustment all the time? They'd go out of business.

"Three Thumbs Up" to Mr. Evans's comment... ^^
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for all the comments. They were very helpful. I narrowed the choice between the AD741 and the FS41 Elite. I really like those Fleder units. The silent power head looks awesome. I have been looking at slides too. Love the K700SP. Man Felder makes great videos. SCM should learn from them. The Mimimax machines are is also very solid. Maybe not quite as refined but just as good it appears to be. Not drop off in quailty. I just don't see a reason to spend what would be several thousand more for the Felder. I decided to order a FS41 Elite and a SC4 Elite at the same time. With the money I'm saving I can start looking at bandsaws. And still have money left over.
    Thanks again to everybody's comments.

MM20 or MM24 for band saw.... LOL
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Congratulations, James! That's going to be an awesome combination. I can tell you that for me, the MM Slider and MM J/P in my shop are a pleasure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am doing the same research James F (OP) was doing.. amybe can revise this to post to include the saw shaper too.. My decision: Felder KF700 2800mm + Felder AD741 Power Drive, Silent Power.. Then Sam B reconnected with me (he almost got me a few years ago when I picked up a used Robland) Sam reminded me same thing my dad said.. Tersa is great.. So I am now considering ST4 Elite 2600mm + FS41 Elite. Im in Europe until end of the year then back in Calif. and might have opportunity to visit SMC factory in a couple weeks. In any case my question(s) (1) MM with a hand crank for the planer table vs Felder power drive,, for a active 1 man hobby shop (maybe small production from time to time) I am torn, regardless of what I decide on tersa vs spiral power drive sure seems nice.. I have owned a lot of planers and cranking was not my favorite thing to do.. (2) MM 2600 slide on ST4e vs Felder 2800mm slide,,, any comments?? (3) MM Shaper hood vs Felder, at first look Felder seems better with micro adjust locks back in place not to mention the exchangeable spindles with high speed option.. Any comments appreciated

Hi Cliff, yes power drive is very nice to have.

As to the table length on the slider, I have a 50 inch one and don't have a use for anything larger, it all depends upon your work.

Shaper hood, yes the Felder drops right back in place without adjustment, very handy. The interchangeable spindle will allow you to use a 30mm spindle so you only but one groover for the saw/shaper, as well as being able to use 30mm bore cutters. Those go on sale a couple of times each year, saving you a stack of money. Most of the cutters in the world are metric bore.

Regardless, you'll enjoy either machine.............Rod.