Thread: Which saw was older?

Question Which saw was older?

Ok, I have been using a Stanley Mitre Box for a while, No.358. Right now, I have two saws for it. They have the same etches on the plates, and spines. Both are Disston No. 4, 11 ppi, 5" x 28" backsaws.

However, at the handle end..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    This one has four bolts, and no cut-away at the heel, the other?
    DSCF0004.JPG
    Has three bolts, and the cut-away heel.

Any ideas as to which is older. Both work great in the mitre box, although the four bolt is a bit deeper cutting.

2. the lines of the four bolt handle look newer to me.

I don't know that there is much difference in age between those handles. The top one looks like it could be a replacement, possibly. The lower one is definitely more representative of the greater care taken with earlier saw handles, so let's call it the older one. Some of the later miter saw handles were almost crude and made from very ordinary wood.

Am I the only one having difficulty setting the teeth on a miter saw? Some of the plates were very thick and the teeth quite small.

Steven,

The four saw nut pattern is definitely a newer design than the three bolt. Also, as Mike pointed out above, the 3 saw nut design shows more attention to detail, the upper portion of the handle shows an older design that Disston used for years on their hand saws, and the rounding of the handle for comfort is deeper, all clear indicators of it being the older of the two.

I am not very knowledgeable on such matters, but I would guess the older one is from the late 40s or the 50s, and the other one from the late 50s or later.

Stew

Just got back from The Disstonian Institute's site 3 bolt is about 1918......4 bolt is after 1929....Both saws have the etch on on the spine for Henry Disston & Sons.