Thread: Lathe upgrade -- done!

Lathe upgrade -- done!

A couple of weeks ago, I was considering replacing my Jet 1236 with either (1) a new Grizzly G0766, or (2) a used Powermatic 3520. After some backing and forthing, I've closed the deal:

IMG_20170210_152101591.jpg

A new Grizz, to which I've added a ballast box between the legs, with about 250 pounds of sand and lumber.

And while I was taking delivery and assembling the Beast at my workshop in NE Georgia, my wife was in charge of closing a deal through Craigslist, to sell the Jet, in Atlanta. Which gave her first dibs on the resale money, or so I'm told.

Special thanks to fellow Creeker David Privett, who demo'd the Grizzly for me at his shop in Tennessee.

And thanks also to all who shared on this forum their opinions on the best way to go from my starter-lathe to what I hope is my lifetime-lathe.

Robert

2. Congrats on a fine machine, Robert! I think you will find the power and performance will be impressive. Great looking ballast box....nice work! Feel free to join the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG] under the community tab at the top of the page. We currently have 214 members, and a lot of good info from owners of the G0766 and other Grizzly models.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats on your new Grizzly! Love mine and use almost every day. Hmm that ballast box looks familiar. lol
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

The trick to the ballast box was that the plywood floor and top (both built out of parts of the crate the lathe came in) had to be cut into two pieces, to get them inside the space between the legs. I lined the box with plastic sheet, poured the sand from the bags into the box, screeded it level with the sides, then put the top on. Three 70# bags of sand filled it completely.

I also need to thank John Van Camp, current President of the Brasstown (NC) Woodturner's Guild, for helping out with the uncrating and assembly of the Beast. There were several pieces that required more than one person to lift. That headstock is massive!

Nice lathe. Happy turning on that beast.

Congrats, Robert. I'm a year and a half into mine, and love it every time I get a chance to turn. It's my first real lathe (can't count the Shopsmith). I turned at the club Turn-In today on a PM3520B, and it's a solid machine, but my G0766 is very sweet. Enjoy.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

let me know how that spaulted American elm bowl turns out, I have a piece off the same tree with a crotch I have been looking at pondering as to what it will be.