Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine storage box

Magazine storage box

This is a magazine storage box that I built to store my WW magazines and catalogs in to reduce the clutter around the house. I started it by building one of the sleeve holders as a prototype. It turned out well enough to use so I continued on and made three more. I got the idea from watching a David Marks episode, it is loosely based on his design. The construction is mostly by power tools, the dovetails were machined on an Akeda jig, the carcass construction is mini floating tenons AKA Lamello #20 biscuits, more than strong enough for a small project like this. The dark wood is Peruvian walnut, the sides of the sleeves is poplar both resawed to 5/16 from 13/16 stock. The case is built totally from one hard maple board. The end result is going to be a very useful piece of furniture to have around. If I had to build another one, my choice of woods may be different, I’m not sure if I like the starkness of the maple although it will mellow out with time. With hindsight I think cherry may have been a better choice,

Gene
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice and a realy cool Idea.

Great form fit and finish

Gene,

Like Don said.... that is really a cool idea.

I have been debating on how to best store my 80 something issues of ShopNotes and I think you may have just triggered exactly the right solution.

Are there any plans or detailed measurements that you could share in addition to what you already have?

I really like it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Great looking storage there! Excellent, thanks for the post and photos.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Gene,

I have been debating on how to best store my 80 something issues of ShopNotes and I think you may have just triggered exactly the right solution.

Are there any plans or detailed measurements that you could share in addition to what you already have?

Hi Bob,

Sorry no plans but if you want more dimensions than here PM me. I started by making one sleeve 5 1/4" wide X 9 1/4" deep X 12" high from 5/16 material. I then built the other three sleeves, placed a 1/16" shim between the sleeves and took a measurement. This became my inside case dimension. My inside height dimension for the box is 3/16" taller than the sleeves. I have a 1/2" reveal on the top and bottom. I cut a 1/2 rabbit in the back on the router table and used 1/2" BB ply for the back. The floor in the sleeve is 1/4" BB sitting in a 1/4" dado. That's about it basically, The pulls are cut on a router table. Thanks for the nice comment. BTW, you can build it with as many sleeves as you like. One word of caution, if you collect Fine Woodworking magazines, it is wider thean the others, DAMHIKT!

gene

Sweet! Nice job!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Ahhhh yes...Worth the wait, Gene! That turned out super!!! Very classy look, IMHO. Wonderful detail, the DT's came out great and I just love those pulls! You've definitely inspired me. Hey, how about a little detail on your finishing regime? Problem is, with all the WW rags I have, I'll need about a half 'o dozen of them! Well done, my friend! Guess I'll have to dig out those DVD's again!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Gene, that looks wonderful! I should build one of those, then maybe LOML would get off my case!! However, like John, it would take me 3 or 4 to have enough room!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    Gene, that looks wonderful! I should build one of those, then maybe LOML would get off my case!! However, like John, it would take me 3 or 4 to have enough room!

Sounds familiar Jeff, that had a lot to do with me building it too! I may be building another too. Seems like I need one in every room.

Gene

Gene,
    Great project...That is one of my favorite projects from DJMarks and have plans to make a set in the near future.

The contrast is very bold.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Gene,

Bob, go to diynet.com look at the Wood Works link. Magazine Storage Boxes - Episode WWK-408. This is the plans from his show

One up'd Marks?

I like your DT's better than the finger joints that he used in that episode. Good job!!
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

I can't add much to whats already been said. That is really a great looking project.

Nice job, I really like those boxes.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

WW Magazines deserve the best - and you gave it to them! Great job with this project. The dovetails look great along with the contrasting wood.