Hello,
Finally to the point where I can start working on my wood shop. Feel free to offer up comments and ideas... This is a hobby is therapeutic for me and I don't mind criticism. Plus, I know that there are a lot more talented people that I can learn from.

The goal for the wood shop is a place for me to teach and hang out with my children. And eventually I plan on spending a lot of time in the shop when I retire (still a long way out) but I want it to be a place that's comfortable and allow me to relax. I see it as an evolution as time goes by, especially since I don't have the capital to get it there immediately.

So the first project I'm going to do is build the RAS table and cabinets around it. The idea here is to start with some storage while I figure out the rest of the shop.

Here's the overall shop layout, this was an early drawing and there are somethings that I've decided to eliminate for now are the walls around the wood shop and the garage area. I'm thinking now that I'll will eventually close in the wood shop. This will make it easier for climate control and keep the saw dust out of everything else. Also, the cabinet layout is changing. It's a metal building and the sidewalls are 14' tall. We did this to accommodate the trailer.

Shop_2 copy.jpg

For now I’m focusing on the left side of the wood shop.

I’m going to frame-in an outside walls and for now, I’ll do plywood sheathing on the walls. I plan on painting the walls a nice light color.

Stud layout:
Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Studs.jpg

Sheathing:
Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Sheathing.jpg

And finally the cabinets:
Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Cabinets.jpg

I haven’t gotten the plywood (3/4” for cabinet frame, 1/2” for drawers) yet but I’ve called around to some local places and I’m thinking about using CDX “grade” if there aren’t too many voids in the laminate. If so, I probably upgrade to BC grade which essentially doubles the cost. Has anyone built cabinets out of CDX grade?

I did order the drawer rails (24”, full extension) and I found a bundle of 10 for around $6.60/pair on Amazon. They came in on Friday and are a lot nicer than I was expecting.

IMG_0899.jpg

Anyhow, I hope to pick up the plywood and 2x4s this week and start working on the walls next week. I plan on documenting the process. Any suggestions and comments are welcome and thanks for taking a look.