I'm a fairly new turner with a mixture of turning tools which include Benjamin Best, Hurricane, and a Harbor Freight set. Some are high speed steel and others are anybody's guess. As my turning skill improves I'll purchase better tools but right now I need to improve my sharpening setup.

Currently, I have a Rikon 1/2 HP low rpm bench grinder with the standard wheels that came with it and the Oneway grinding jig setup along with their Vari-grind jig. My problem is that the grinder with the standard wheels vibrates and drives me crazy. I've spent and wasted a lot of time trying to smooth the grinder out following all the many suggestions like re-clocking the wheels and putting paper shims under the cheap stamped flange washers, etc, etc. I've found that most changes are temporary at best and only minimize the vibration and not eliminate it.

I really want a smoother and more consistent sharpening system so I can spend most of my time learning to turn and improving my turning skills and therefore I've decided to purchase better quality wheels and ditch the ones I have.

My dilemma simply put is should I purchase:

1. Two new Norton 3X wheels along with a Oneway Wheel Balancing system?

OR

2. Two CBN wheels and be done with it?

I've read numerous articles and threads on various internet forums and vendor websites and need some input from the experienced folks on this site that may have struggled with the same problem.

I'd like your opinions please.

Thank you