Quote Originally Posted by Gredo Goldenstein
This one made me laugh out loud! 160 lbs of salt is a lot to miss!
How about a walk behind Scotts seed/fertilizer spreader. We once bought some fertilizer and the spreader, it was right on top of the cart and they missed it. My wife didn't even notice until much later when she was entering the receipt in to her check register.

So "Shrinkage" can occur from many, many avenues. Sure, there is the shoplifting and employee theft, but also mistakes at the checkout, damaged items or packaging, etc... For example, I was in HD the other day getting some 1/4" tube fittings. Aside from the open bags strewn everywhere, there was a 5 gallon bucket full of brass fittings and pieces. Or there was the time this spring/summer when we went looking for some vegetable seeds for a second crop. We found the 8 boxes full of seed packets just thrown in together, all mixed up and unsaleable.This is not out of the norm, but pretty much typical for the stores in our area.

All of the HD's and Lowe's in my vicinity are trash heaps that are poorly maintained. Aside from being dusty and dirty, items are mixed up and never sorted or "fronted", missing pricing lables. This too can lead to shrinkage.

It was a stark contrast to visit a Lowe's in Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry) that was very clean and neat, and I didn't see a single aisle where the items were not pulled to the front of the shelves. It was also well staffed with helpful and friendly people. It blew me away! I told my friends I was visiting about it, and they thought it was only just about average for the area.