Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Planer Thread - Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    I have this planer. What I've found is that the serrated out feed only leaves marks when just barely cutting. If taking a decent bite, I don't see any marks. Can't explain it, but I've tested this and it always works out like that. The marks are minimal and easily cleaned up with a quick pass with a sander.
    You have the "Z" or "ZW"?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    I have this planer. What I've found is that the serrated out feed only leaves marks when just barely cutting. If taking a decent bite, I don't see any marks. Can't explain it, but I've tested this and it always works out like that. The marks are minimal and easily cleaned up with a quick pass with a sander.
    You may seeing the result of the serrated infeed roller. My Jet JJP-12 will do the same thing and it has a rubber outfeed roller. The marks show up if I try to remove less than <.03" or so.

I went to the Springfield showroom this past Friday and to look at the planers (and drum sanders) in depth. I ended up talking with one of the guys about the different planers and he really pushed the G1033X over the G0454ZW. Even thought that wasn't one you listed, I thought I would share what I learned. He talked for a bit about the differences, but these are the things he highlighted:

• Different cutter head (G1033X has a Byrd-like head, with a helical cut and 15x15x2.5mm cutters, whereas the G0454 series have a straight-cut design with 14x14x2mm cutters. He considered this enough of a change by itself to warrant the upgrade)
    • Additional thickness capability of the G1033X (he said the G0454 series stops around 7 3/4'', even though that's not what the website dictates, whereas the G1033X can easily handle 8''...maybe he meant finish planing an 8'' product, since the 1033X can go to 8 5/8'' vs 8'' max on the G0454)
    • The G1033X is made in Taiwan (ISO 9001 factory) vs G0454Z series in China (non-ISO 9001)
    • G1033 has been around for a long time with minimal issues, G0454 series is a newer model and not as proven

I have the Z (~ 5 years old). It has a serrated out feed roller.

Mine has a serrated out feed roller (z-model).

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Merritt View Post
    I went to the Springfield showroom this past Friday and to look at the planers (and drum sanders) in depth. I ended up talking with one of the guys about the different planers and he really pushed the G1033X over the G0454ZW. Even thought that wasn't one you listed, I thought I would share what I learned. He talked for a bit about the differences, but these are the things he highlighted:

• Different cutter head (G1033X has a Byrd-like head, with a helical cut and 15x15x2.5mm cutters, whereas the G0454 series have a straight-cut design with 14x14x2mm cutters. He considered this enough of a change by itself to warrant the upgrade)
    • Additional thickness capability of the G1033X (he said the G0454 series stops around 7 3/4'', even though that's not what the website dictates, whereas the G1033X can easily handle 8''...maybe he meant finish planing an 8'' product, since the 1033X can go to 8 5/8'' vs 8'' max on the G0454)
    • The G1033X is made in Taiwan (ISO 9001 factory) vs G0454Z series in China (non-ISO 9001)
    • G1033 has been around for a long time with minimal issues, G0454 series is a newer model and not as proven
    The 1033 is a lot more planer and a lot more money. As a hobbyist, I cannot justify $3G's+ for a planer. Maybe it's just my own personal shallow pockets talking. The 453w is now under $1000. By far the best value, unless you know you need the 20" width. The z is $1800 and I love it. But, it is a luxury and more than I really need.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-21-2017 at 8:41 PM.

The z versus zw also have different feed rates, and the z will cut thinner stock. The zw will cut a shorter board and spins a bit faster. Well, at least that's what the specs say. There could be some typo's in there. I don't know what to make of the wider table spec. I think that may just be how it's measured. Table has to be wider than 15" if the cutting width is 15". Perhaps they improved on the table shoulders on the zw. I have to watch that the board doesn't rub hard on the shoulders of mine, as this can damage the edge face of the board as it is pulled into the cutter.

Man, I just did a facepalm. I thought it was the 0454 not the 0453. They are a lot closer in price, and features, or I wouldn't have even recommended the G1033! Maybe the info will help someone else in the future.

I had adjusted most of the infeed and outfeed roller marks out of my G0453Z unless I made very light cuts. I ended up putting in some rubber rollers from Delta. Much happier now. If they get torn up I will send them to Western Roller for Urathane.

Man, I just did a facepalm. I thought it was the 0454 not the 0453. They are a lot closer in price, and features, or I wouldn't have even recommended the G1033! Maybe the info will help someone else in the future.
    Don't worry about it, I am going to be buying a planer later this year and you helped me do some hard thinking about how I am budgeting things. I actually found your post extremely helpful.

That's a bit of a relief. We had taken a trip to Ohio to visit the wife's family (from Texas), and on the way back, stopped at Sierra Bullets, then down to Grizzly before finally returning home. I had a blast in both places; it was absolutely worth the detour. I just finished buying a new dust collector, table saw, fence, and in the next few days, a router table, and lift. I have no more money for new toys right now, but I have been seriously considering a larger planer for my next purchase. My intent in stopping at Grizzly was to determine how much money I really needed to budget as you mentioned, and it really helped me out. I tend to use the "buy once, cry once" methodology. I've also thought long and hard about adding a Byrd head to my DW735 as it will handle most of my needs, and buying the G1066Z 24'' drum sander (I can also share the differences between the G1066Z and G1066R that I learned if anyone is interested). I understand it's not the same as a planer, but would give me some abilities I don't have now and a slightly wider overall width. This is a hobby for me, so spending longer in a sander than a planer isn't too big of a deal. That may or may not be an option to you, but it's an ideal I will solicit feedback on when the time comes to make a decision.

That's a bit of a relief. We had taken a trip to Ohio to visit the wife's family (from Texas), and on the way back, stopped at Sierra Bullets, then down to Grizzly before finally returning home. I had a blast in both places; it was absolutely worth the detour. I just finished buying a new dust collector, table saw, fence, and in the next few days, a router table, and lift. I have no more money for new toys right now, but I have been seriously considering a larger planer for my next purchase. My intent in stopping at Grizzly was to determine how much money I really needed to budget as you mentioned, and it really helped me out. I tend to use the "buy once, cry once" methodology. I've also thought long and hard about adding a Byrd head to my DW735 as it will handle most of my needs, and buying the G1066Z 24'' drum sander (I can also share the differences between the G1066Z and G1066R that I learned if anyone is interested). I understand it's not the same as a planer, but would give me some abilities I don't have now and a slightly wider overall width. This is a hobby for me, so spending longer in a sander than a planer isn't too big of a deal. That may or may not be an option to you, but it's an ideal I will solicit feedback on when the time comes to make a decision.
    I also have thought about the DW 735 but I like the feel and look of a larger, heavier planer. Being a good boy and buying everything else used and refurbishing/restoring it has left some dinero in the budget for a decent planer. Right now I am thinking vintage Powermatic, but one brand new tool in the shop might be nice. Newest tool I currently run is a 1996 Delta Scroll saw.