Thread: Altendorf F-45 magnetic switch problem

Altendorf F-45 magnetic switch problem

I recently picked up an 1998 Altendorf F-45, I also just got a 40 HP rotary converter installed that powers my whole shop. Basically i'm having trouble with the magnetic switch on the machine itself. I can go into the machines electronic and hit the actual relay and everything works fine. So i'm guessing I need some kind of jumper wire that engages the magnetic switch? I can supply pictures for reference if needed. Thanks

I have had to replace the heaters on a couple of mag switches that were doing that same thing.

Make sure the generated leg is not going to the coil

Hey darcy what do you mean by that? I'm not the most experienced when it comes to 3 phase. Thanks

Are the controls low voltage in the machine? I would assume it's either 120v or 27v controls.

I would make sure the generated leg is not hooked to any of the control circuits.

Yea they are low voltage i'm not sure how to check if its hooked up to my generated leg

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Funk View Post
    Yea they are low voltage i'm not sure how to check if its hooked up to my generated leg
    Get a meter out and check the legs, the generated leg will be higher voltage.

Hey Ian,

Can't really help with your question, but I hooked up my 2001 F-45 about 3 years ago, and Stiles Machinery was really helpful by putting me in touch with a Tech on the phone to clarify some rewiring that I needed to do.

I'm not sure what you have for low voltage options on your model, but mine had 18V/24V/35V DC circuits and the tech had me pull a few circuit breakers when hooking it up to prevent the low voltage circuits from getting over-voltage, which can fry the voltage-sensitive DC components. Each of the DC circuits had a range of acceptable voltages, and if your mains are high (mine were 245V), you can over-volt the circuits. There is a pretty fancy transformer in there that has +/-20V (by memory) adjustments on it to bring your mains voltage down, and in turn, the output DC voltages at the output of the transformer. Once you test your transformer output DC voltages are within the acceptable ranges, then you can push in the circuit breakers, and you're good to go.

Just food for thought. If you fry any circuit boards, I'm sure you'll be in for some sticker shock when it comes to replace them.

I'm not sure which RPC you have, but usually L1 and L2 are the input lines from your mains to your RPC. These should carry through to T1 and T2, respectively, at your RPC output. T3 is the generated leg. Never use the generated leg for any single phase power, including control circuitry. A quote from my American Rotary manual: "T1 & T2 measured to ground will produce half the single phase input voltage, but T3 to ground will NOT."

Anyone have documentation (beyond the operation manual) for the F-45 Elmo 1996, trying to trouble shoot the auto fence controls and get the scorching saw to operate?