This White Birch bowl was turned as a birthday gift for our neighbor, Linda. She and her husband Dennis belong to our local golf & country club and 2 years ago Dennis called informing me that the golf course had just dropped a large white birch tree and if I wanted any of the wood – come get it because they were just going to run it through a chipper! That happened in late April and as is typical in the U.P. there was still a lot of snow on the ground even though it was raining when I went to get the wood. Grabbing a truck load of extremely heavy chunks of wood was a very cold & wet experience but that is another story best told over a few beers! When I went to turn this bowl, I found out through my wife that Linda’s favorite color is orange. Orange? Why?

White Birch, 8.5” (216mm) diameter x 3.75” (95mm) high x 5/16” (8mm) thick. Dyed orange using red & yellow Transtint dye mixed with DNA. Multiple coats of gloss wipe-on poly, buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax to help protect the finish.

Orange_Birch_1.jpg Orange_Birch_2.jpg Orange_Birch_3.jpg Orange_Birch_4.jpg Orange_Birch_5.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!