Thread: Dust Collector Repurpose

Dust Collector Repurpose

I have a HF dust collector that I no longer need as I bought a Laguna C/Flux 3hp. I thought about selling the HF which, realistically, I can only get about $100 and I don't really want to have a stranger come to my home to pick it up. So, I've decided to re-purpose it in some way. My questions, what else can I do with it? I thought about some sort of sanding down draft table but that doesn't seem like much fun. Any ideas?

How about an ambient air filter?

The problem with using it for an ambient filter is it doesn't move that much air AND it is very loud for that use.

The main issue I see is there is nothing the HF unit will do the C/Flux won't do better so attaching it to anything else is only saving the trouble to connect the Laguna instead.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I could see the machine being used for something like a dedicated vac for a sanding table or CNC router table provided the air filter is upgraded. Multiple dust collectors can be more effective than one huge central one if they are properly deployed.

I disagree with using a DC type blower for any application that really should utilize a vacuum. The HF blower won't work well where there is a lot of static pressure. For example, using a smaller diameter hose on an orbital sander or a router. That is a place to use a true vacuum cleaner. The impeller style blowers are for a high air flow-low pressure use. The downdraft sanding table idea is one place the blower might work well. Of course, you could hook up the Laguna just as easily.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 02-20-2017 at 9:47 AM.