Thread: A few time saving products used in our shop..

A few time saving products used in our shop..

Just thought I'd share some products that I feel are real time savers that we use when processing solid wood panels/glue ups.

#1 - pneumatic glue applicator - We have been using the Lamello MK system for going on three years now, after using 500 ml bottles for years (Ive been running the family business for 23 years now). I always wanted to try one of these but never bought one until 3 years ago. Should have gotten it sooner.

WHen laminating panels, you select one of the paddle type applicators and adjust the width of the spread to the thickness of the boards. Once the pressure and flow rate is set, you quickly run the applicator down the board to apply the perfect amount of glue, that needs no further spreading.

Many other attachments are available but I find these most valuable. Other systems are also available, I went with Lamello since I deal with the importer here in Canada regularly.

#2 - Larry's Clamp. This is a slick pneumatic clamping unit, made to allign the planks in a glue up until you can get a bar or pipe clamp on. You just move the unit down the length of the panel while you apply the clamps, and it is SO much faster than using pieces of wood with C clamps. It is one of those things you won't realize how much time and aggravation it will save until you use it.

It is made so when you sit Pony type 3/4" clamps on the table, set you boards on the clamps - Larry's clamp will slide under the boards without lifting. Really is a time saver, and it is super strong.

We dont have the capital (or more importantly the real estate) for a large clamping rack system. But this was very affordable. Its sold through Charles Schmidt in the US.

Andrew J. Coholic

I really like the glue applicator that is slick.My method is foam roller and a small paint tray.
    Very low tech.
    And it wastes glue because it holds a lot in the roller that I wash away.
    Thanks for sharing your tips
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I really like the glue applicator that is slick.My method is foam roller and a small paint tray.
    Very low tech.
    And it wastes glue because it holds a lot in the roller that I wash away.
    Thanks for sharing your tips

There are some other very useful tips available - almost for any application (dowel holes, rollers, grooves etc). We use about 5 or 6 of them often.

I find we waste a lot less glue, and have a lot less mess to clean up with this system.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Andrew, thanks for sharing these tips with us!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Andrew,
    i like the pneumatic glue systems and have been using for several years. We do a lot of face laminated door and window scantlings and the rollers work well for that. The tips for dowel and mortise - tenon work are good also.
    I wish I had bought Larrys clamp. We ended up getting the one from JLT, it is heavy and awkward. They modified it to do our 2 1/4" stave glue ups.
    IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpgIMG_0362.jpg

That pneumatic glue applicator is really nice! I suffer from tremors that make applying and spreading the glue problematic at times. I don't think the pneumatic applicator would really help with keeping the glue nicely centered on the board, but it would probably help me avoid the big blobs of glue I get sometimes.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brader View Post
    That pneumatic glue applicator is really nice! I suffer from tremors that make applying and spreading the glue problematic at times. I don't think the pneumatic applicator would really help with keeping the glue nicely centered on the board, but it would probably help me avoid the big blobs of glue I get sometimes.
    Straight.
    Scott

Scott
    the paddle applicators have a lip on one edge to help guide it straight. It is removable also with a few screws.
    Andrew J. Coholic