Thread: 2nd bed for the Grandaughter; idea to reality

2nd bed for the Grandaughter; idea to reality

2nd bed for Granddaughter; idea to reality
    So here is the story. With #2 on the way, #1 needs to have a new bed and depart from the crib (posted here as well). So, the idea was born and I was given this pic as something that would be nice.

bed with couch and book shelves.PNG

So I started thinking. This is nice but could be outgrown and has limited flexibility. I did some sketchup work starting here.

bed with arch.JPG

The two end uprights are one solid glue up. The rear, side and center guard rails are glue ups, the book racks are glue ups and it all goes together with knockdown hardware. The bed can go on the left side (as shown) or the right side. Then, I thought about future growth and what additional parts would add to the overall concept. So, it can go to this:

bed with bunk.JPG

Bunk bed on top. Reading area replaced with a hook on desk. Heck, the lower bed could be removed and the reading area remain along with the desk. All again with knockdown hardware so it can be configured for access to the bunk from either end, desk can go on left or right, etc.

Let the work begin. Bring out the white oak, mill all the parts, do the fit and finish, dry assembled, glue up, add some Minwax Classic Grey stain, coat with General Finish High Performance Top Coat, Semi-Gloss, and deliver. Here it is in it first stage.

P2190012.JPG P2190013.JPG

Now just have to glue up, stain and finish all the top (bunk) guard rails. I have all the parts ready to go. And then make the desk. None of these parts will be needed real soon for sure.

P2190016.JPG

And the best part. The wife and I delivered it while the family was out and about. Total surprise as they thought I had a week or two to go. The Granddaughter walked into the room and said ... MY BED, MY BED ... jumped in and started reading. And then, gave it a try. Wonderful for sure.

M in new bed.jpg

Thanks for looking. Now onto the dresser to go with the bedroom set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Horky; 02-20-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Robert, a password is required to see your photos.

Hopefully fixed. They all worked for me but I did edit.

Really well done, but I can't keep this thread up long for fear that my wife will peek over my shoulder and add this to my honey-do list. Nice job Robert. What a blessing your skills and talents are to your family.

Nicely done Robert! Thanks for sharing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....