Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to know if shellac is de-waxed

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    Twice as nice!

Using shellac.net prices, 1 gallon of 190 proof DNA, $34.36, 3# of super blonde $116.70 and $17.55 shipping works out to $168.61/gallon.

Switching to DNA from the hardware store saves about $15.

Switching shellac suppliers (can't find my cheat-sheet right now, but I know of two other small quantity sellers) should save about another $50 because shellac.net seems to have prices nearly as high as Woodcraft and BT&C (Tools For Working Wood).

I don't think you can find a better shellac deal than Sealcoat. It's dewaxed and keeps for 2+ years unless the can develops a pin hole leak. That's happened to me twice now. You can make any color you want by adding Transtint dye to it. Why people mess around with flakes and alcohol is a mystery to me, especially when it costs a lot more.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I don't think you can find a better shellac deal than Sealcoat. It's dewaxed and keeps for 2+ years unless the can develops a pin hole leak. That's happened to me twice now. You can make any color you want by adding Transtint dye to it. Why people mess around with flakes and alcohol is a mystery to me, especially when it costs a lot more.

John
    You are so right. I had a gallon can of Sealcoat develop a pinhole leak and it made a mess. Now as soon as I buy a gallon, I divide it into four quart mason jars. You would think they would come up with a solution for the can leaking!

I'm a fan of Sealcoat and use it all the time. However, nobody outside of Zinsser seems to know what's really in it. I know it's mostly dewaxed shellac, but there are other ingredients also. I've tried to find out what they are with no success. I could see using flakes if you needed the purest possible shellac, or if you wanted a naturally colored shellac that was dewaxed, like garnet, ruby, orange. Some of these colored shellacs are lovely. Transtint works very well but I feel the natural colored shellacs are their own independent option. This said, I'm with John and rarely have any interest in dissolving shellac flakes.

I'm with you, John. Also, making your own from flakes is considerably more labor intensive than say mixing a wiping varnish or oil/varnish. It's not like the flakes dissolve that quickly. It's a 24 hour affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'm with you, John. Also, making your own from flakes is considerably more labor intensive than say mixing a wiping varnish or oil/varnish. It's not like the flakes dissolve that quickly. It's a 24 hour affair.
    Flakes, no. Powder, yes. Get a cheap coffee grinder ($15 new, $5 at the recycle store). Grind the flakes to powder (also, use "fresh" flakes, ones that have been properly stored so they aren't sticky). Very finely ground shellac is (or was) sold as shellac flour. Don Williams used to sell it in small quantities from a hoard he purchased from a company going out of business. That stuff is ready in minutes!

With the DNA from the hardware store, the powder will dissolve in less than a few hours. With Everclear, about the same speed.

Just stir in, lid up and leave it alone.

FYI, I had a calculation in a previous post that used current web prices and small quantity purchase from a company that is probably the most expensive source for flakes outside of Woodcraft & TFWW. Using other sources, I've gotten the price down to around $9-12 per pound depending on the color.

SealCoat is still good stuff. I just like playing "Breaking Bad" in the basement.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

If you were truly playing breaking bad, you'd start with liquid shellac, dye it blue, pour it into a tray, let the ethanol evaporate, and finally crack apart the solid sheet. This only works if you're in your underwear in a trailer in the desert outside of Albuquerque.

This only works if you're in your underwear in a trailer in the desert outside of Albuquerque.
    You'd have to be located on the extreme east side in Bruce's neighborhood!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If you were truly playing breaking bad, you'd start with liquid shellac, dye it blue, pour it into a tray, let the ethanol evaporate, and finally crack apart the solid sheet. This only works if you're in your underwear in a trailer in the desert outside of Albuquerque.
    And who is to say I'm not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post
    And who is to say I'm not?
    Lawrence, KS is a ways from the ABQ desert. My address, on the other hand, is just 6 miles east of the breaking bad film locations...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Lawrence, KS is a ways from the ABQ desert. My address, on the other hand, is just 6 miles east of the breaking bad film locations...
    IP spoofing is easy...

Got any pizza on your roof?

I sure hope not!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney