Thread: Small board storage rack

Small board storage rack

I was being overrun with scraps and cutoffs so it was time to make a storage rack or box. Since I don't use the lathe and that's where a lot of the boards were stored that's where I decided to place the storage rack (want to buy a 10' long lathe?). This is mostly a compilation of handheld shots with my iPhone so not top quality but it gets the point across.

David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Photos, David? Not everyone can watch videos due to bandwidth, etc.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Didn't think about that, Jim - my bad!

Here's a few starting with what I had before with the sawhorses behind the router table and everything piled under and on the lathe (anybody want an Oliver 8' bed lathe???). Moving on to everything I pulled out going on the table saw, CNC, even loaded up the freezer area in the utility room with scraps. So I began using the scraps to build the storage rack under the lathe - no plans or drawings, just winged it based on what I found to work with in the scraps. Now everything is organized and basically together - Quilted and Curly Maple, Brazilian Rosewood, Cocobolo, Walnut, Bubinga, Honduras Mahogany, etc.

001 - Before.jpg008 - Pulled out from under lathe.jpg009 - Piled on CNC.jpg010 - Oak that was on the floor and not accessible.jpg020 - Frame.jpg036 - Frame.jpg042 - Storage unit in place.jpg052 - Almost finished.jpg

I'll post a few more after this - all I can do is 8 at a time.
    David

Every time I walked over to the DC to turn it on, which seems to be 20 times every day (I know, I need a remote control...) I had to squeeze between the shop vac and router table. When I used the router table the handle to the shop vac was in my back side. Needless to say it was tight. Now it is much, much better. I can actually walk through that area without touching anything at all and the end result is I completely fill the large trash can outside with scraps of Pine, MDF, and plywood that I kept piling under the lathe.

060 - Narrow fit.jpg 078 - More room.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    David
    David

Blog Entries
    Nice project David. My father had a small board storage unit that looked like this.
    woodstove.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nice project David. My father had a small board storage unit that looked like this.
    woodstove.jpg
    Now that's funny stuff!! LOL!
    David

You are not alone. I (and lots of others!) have the same problem. I don't have the floor space for a box like that so I settled on a series of wire shelving units 48"x18" by 6' high - by using the top shelf I get about 8' of vertical space out of each unit. I stack turning squares up to about 24" long with the ends out, each labeled with the species and lengths for quick ID. I like to keep shorter blanks in shallow, clear plastic tubs sorted by size. Like you, I keep even fairly small pieces of some exotics.

My problem is compounded by my hobby, er, obsession of processing and drying green wood into turning blanks which need years to air dry - the wire shelves are perfect for this. For this addiction I don't need a 12-step program, I need 12 more shelving units and more shop space. Yeah.

It looks like you could use a storage building! I have wood in six different locations around the farm, not counting stacks at the sawmill. I'm already planning an addition to my new shop for storage (and a bathroom!)

Oh, one comment about your video - some of the text screens went by too quickly for me to read and I wasn't fast enough with the pause key. When I produced technical videos we used a rule of thumb while editing - for the first cut leave text up long enough to read through aloud twice, longer if complicated or technical or if it accompanied by a photo or diagram. Then get someone else to watch and note where they felt rushed, couldn't finish, or the opposite. In general, screens with a lot of text might best be broken up into several screens, sequential or interspersed with visuals.

JKJ