Thread: Rockwell Uniplane anyone???

Rockwell Uniplane anyone???

Visited a local WW artisan today and he's got a Rockwell Unisaw he's looking to sell for a decent price. Nice shape w/a brand new 110v motor. Several questions: Anybody have one of these and, if so, how useful are they? And then, in the quick searching I have done, I can't seem to find replacement blades for it. The ones on it right now are sharp, but I'd venture to say that, if I use it a fair amount, there's a good chance they'll need replacing at some point. Any sources???? Appreciate any info you guys have to offer.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Unisaw or Uniplane?

David.

John,
    I don't know the machine but a google shows that one sold on the auction site on the 5th of this month for $431.88. Also here some infor from OWWM site

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=209

Maybe those guys can let you know about the availabilty of the cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan
    Unisaw or Uniplane?

David.
    David, I'm kind of a "Bridgewood" guy myself, as far as a table saw goes. (You'd have a heckuva' time talkin' me outta' mine! ) No, this is definitely a "Uniplane". It's like the one Don found through Google.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

John,

I asked the same question last year. The answers I got were 1) Some pattern makers love them for the ability to work small pieces with some additional safety. 2) The cutter inserts are hard to find and sharpen.

I passed on one last year, but it sounds like a neat machine/capability if you have the room and money.

FWIW,

Wes

Thanks guys. While it sounds kind of tempting, it's not something I need, though it may be nice to have. That said, I followed Don's lead and checked the archives at OWWM. Seems that a LOT of folks think the unit is NOT as safe as it's purported to be! I guess I take that with a grain of salt, as most any of the equipment we use, right down to hand tools can be dangerous if not properly used. My biggest fear, if you will is, it is real sketchy as far as getting replacement cutters for it. If I was a machinist and/or had access to the tools necessary to make my own, then it would be a no-brainer. As it stands, I've seen people talking $150.00 or better for a set of cutters (8, I think), which need to be custom made! Keeeeeripes...That's half the price of the machine! I'm thinking I'm going to pass on it. OTOH, if anyone in the South-Central Wisconsin area is interested, I'd be happy to hook you up with the owner. It may be worth a trip just to talk to this fellow and see his shop and some of his work. Exquisite!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John,
    I own a Uniplane and have done a bit of research on them. They were originally built for schools as a safer alternative to a jointer (not a planer). It was discovered that they were quite dangerous in their own right and the concept didn't fly with schools.
    As for the machine itself, the table is way to small for any boards longer than a foot or two, and although mine is in pretty good shape I could never get comfortable with the results I got from it.
    I have two sets of knives and if you do use it much you will need them.
    It is a classic example of old iron, though.
    I am giving it a thumbs down just on usefulness alone, but if you bite, don't go a penney over 200. I tried to sell mine, and couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Zettle
    John,
    I own a Uniplane and have done a bit of research on them. They were originally built for schools as a safer alternative to a jointer (not a planer). It was discovered that they were quite dangerous in their own right and the concept didn't fly with schools.
    As for the machine itself, the table is way to small for any boards longer than a foot or two, and although mine is in pretty good shape I could never get comfortable with the results I got from it.
    I have two sets of knives and if you do use it much you will need them.
    It is a classic example of old iron, though.
    I am giving it a thumbs down just on usefulness alone, but if you bite, don't go a penney over 200. I tried to sell mine, and couldn't.
    Craig, I sincerely appreciate the additional info! No, I never really saw it as a replacement for a jointer. Besides, I've already got a decent jointer! No, from the research I've done, it seems that those who like it, primarily use it for smaller items, in which case, it may indeed be somewhat safer. But again, it's not one of those "need" type of tools, either. In WW, there's always more than one way to do a specific job!

As it stands, I've already emailed my friend back and told him that I think I'm going to pass on it. I did mention that one recently sold on eBay for over $400.00 and he may want to consider that route, if he's really looking to get his money back out of it. He might just get lucky. In the meantime, I don't have enough $$$ to throw at something I "might" use and which needs a healthy investment in replacement cutters. I'll pass!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas