Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: if you have a big lathe, can you tell me the diameter of the rod in your banjo please

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    The Oneway design looks interesting, but wouldn't lend itself to DIY easily, and I don't see where it would have that much advantage over a traditional round bar as long as you use an adequate size bar to start with. I wouldn't use anything less than 1 1/4".

I assume you never used a Oneway banjo, maybe you should try one or talk to those that do use one, and no not an easy DIY project, the reason some do buy a Oneway banjo for their lathe with some less that ideal Banjo.
    Have fun and take care

Dustin, I am out of my shop right now. If you're interested I can post some pictures on Monday.

griz banjo.png

This is a section of the parts assembly drawing from the Griz web site for the G0766. The tightening rod, 52V2, has a slot longitudinal. (I don't own a slotting saw or a 0.062 mill). This groove or slot corresponds/aligns with a protrusion in the inside of part 60. Part 60 is eccentric. (Two round circles offset from each other). So when you rotate the rod it causes the eccentric to rotate within the equivalent to the PM eyebolt, part 59 and it pulls part 59 upwards, locking the banjo.

Griz uses a round washer which (I think) will long-term get some wear. I think the One-way design with the square plate is better. When/if my griz washer gets chewed up, I'll replace it with a square plate.

If I were trying to make this, I would consider buying the parts from Griz for under 80 bucks. The protrusion on the eccentric would be a challenge to machine. I think that Griz used a special broach. I would have problems with that. It might be easier to slot it (the opposite of a protrusion) and put in a keyway anchored with superglue.

I think that the One way design would be easier to duplicate and is just plain better. But you are going to need a mill and a metal lathe to make it too.

What do you have for metal shop equipment?

Leo,
    You are right, I have never used a Oneway lathe, but the Powermatic banjo has never come loose while turning, so to me it is a moot point that the Oneway may be better.

The OP mentioned that he had limited tools available, and had already gone over budget, so in his case, a round rod system would seem to me to be a better solution.

Blog Entries
    Yes Leo is correct , i made mine like oneway's it locks tight .Their $ on just a banjo is not to bad either .

I have no doubt the Oneway design is superior to others using rods, but a properly adjusted banjo should hold fine for the forces at play. I have never had an issue with my various lathes.

Left click my name for homepage link.

would this mean that an 1800 rpm motor will do 3600 rpm at 120 hz? If so, how would i find out if my motor can do this, and is there any risk to it?

I see the biggest advantage to the oneway being: 1)lighter weight, as a smaller square bar can be used and deflection is not a concern, 2) tighter clamping ability, which may be unnecessary since the solid round bar design works fine on other lathes, and 3) bragging rights when marketing their lathe with a unique patented design. I have used a powermatic in the past and it clamped tight, but never gave banjo design a concern when using it. I will be using a vicmarc vl300 at an acquaintances house tomorrow and will get an idea of what their banjo design is.

the oneway 24" swing toolrest sells on their site for 291 before shipping. To each their own, but that is waaaay more than I am about to spend on a banjo...

I am still waiting to hear back from oneway for a price on the cam mechanism as I cannot come up with an idea of how to fabricate something. If I could find a ~2"-3" long sleeve with a square hole the entire length, I'm pretty sure I could make it happen. I even considered welding two 3/4" drive sockets face to face, but I think the square needs to be a little smaller, and I have never seen 5/8" drive sockets...

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have no doubt the Oneway design is superior to others using rods, but a properly adjusted banjo should hold fine for the forces at play. I have never had an issue with my various lathes.

I’m sure it depends on what you are turning on your lathe, and the forces that are used to do that, I do know at least a few turners that did exchange the Banjo of their lathe for a Oneway Banjo.

Just consider doing some metal spinning and that with the banjo of your lathe, there is also the clamping handle being at the same position every time and not sitting higher or lower depending the flexing of a round bar banjo.

Picture of a Nova with a Oneway banjo.

Oneway Banjo.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-26-2017 at 8:30 PM.
    Have fun and take care