Thread: Dachshund carving II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dachshund carving II

dach auc 32 copy.jpgdach auc 48 copy.jpgdach auc 47 copy.jpgdach auc 31 copy.jpgdach auc 35 copy.jpgdach auc 36 copy.jpg

I decided to upload this new set of photos for this piece as much for a lesson to myself as to all of us for just how bad really bad photography can be. I decided to post them in a different thread figuring it would be easier for people who wanted to compare like photos side by side. In my Dachshund Carving thread, I complained a good deal about the photos in that thread...as they are flat terrible as representations of the actual carving.

I caught the light right today....these are IMO 100% more accurate to the piece but still not what I would hope to accomplish using a camera with more control features. I didn't get out my photo box to use as background because i wanted these to simply be better photos.....same composition or as close as I could get. These are so much more accurate to the piece that the two sets of photos at least to my eyes look like photos of two different pieces, one a shabby effort to duplicate the other.

So these are taken with the same smartphone...same lack of controls. However the light is not just bouncing off of every feature of the piece because I caught the light right today. It was so bad in the last set, that the camera was actually both reflecting off the glass eyes like beacons but was also seeing all the way through the glass to the back of the eye which for obvious reasons was just hideous. Light bouncing off the surface, light bouncing off the inner surfaces...just terrible photos.

So I am still going to get a bridge camera as I still can't find my old point and shoot....probably a blessing because it is getting long in the tooth.....wherever it is. Just to be clear, I think the contemporary smartphone takes incredible photos and is appropriate for many kinds of product shots. It just can't produce the kinds of photos of the work I want to produce. It is just not designed for that particular task. Still and all, I find these photos acceptable to me and if I had to accept this level of photography of the work, I would likely take it........but just barely.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 02-25-2017 at 10:17 AM.