Thread: My 2017 Pen Stand/Clock entry

My 2017 Pen Stand/Clock entry

This is a pen stand/clock that I entered into a contest on the IAP penturning site this past week. They run a fund raising party during the month of Feb every year and with this there are many different themed contests. I was able to get back in my shop after 3 years of being away due to illness and family matters. It feels good to get back. Anyway this was a project I worked on and entered into the Pen Stand Contest.

This was my 2017 Pen Stand Contest entry. It did take first place. Pen Stand/Clock is of a gambling theme. The materials are maple, walnut, rosewood poker chips, 2" clock insert and dice.

The playing cards were cut out on a scrollsaw and done in maple. The background of the symbols was painted flat black. the large dice is walnut. The base is rosewood with a bevel detail and covered with a dark green velvet. The wood parts were top coated in a satin lacquer.

The poker chips are stacked and shaped to hold a single pen of any size. The holder chips are flocked in green where the pen lays to protect it from scratching. Thanks for looking.Copy of IMGP0129.JPGCopy of IMGP0127.JPGCopy of IMGP0114.JPG
    John T.

Very nice!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

It looks fantastic, John. ..Lots of work there. Congratulations on First Place and for getting back in the pink.

Incredible details and beautiful craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone. It was a fun project and will have to work on a new one for next year.
    John T.

Very nice work and concept, well carried out! Good job.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram