Thread: Good price on powermatic 24/feeder?

Good price on powermatic 24/feeder?

On my quest for a shaper/feeder, I found a pm24, 3hp/220v 1ph, and 1hp Delta feeder. 3/4" and 1.25" spindle, w router bit collet, on mobile base. All appears in good condition. Also included is a box of cutters. $1500. Fair deal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Assuming they're sharp, what kind of value would you put on the box of cutters? I really know little about shaper tooling, other than its expensive and I'll need some to make sawdust.

Value of cutters? But I know I would not throw my shaper cutters in box like the picture...

If I were closer I'd steal it out from under you. I'd make sure everything works as advertised though. If the knucklehead treated his cutters that way he may have abused the shaper as well. Cutter value will depend on brand/quality and whether or not they are something you can use.

Regarding potential for abuse or damage is good thought. I know the seller bought it used, built a kitchen, and didn't want the shaper taking up floor space after kitchen was complete. Probably not a far cry from what I'll do. The shaper and feeder both appear in good shape. I'll check spindle for runout and end play, and fence for proper function. Are there any other hidden potential issues with a used shaper/feeder I should be looking for?

That sounds like a good deal to me.

Many of the cutters in that box should be in a museum.

There's a nice clear plastic ring guard in there.

I suggest that you buy the book The Spindle Moulder Handbook by Stephenson. https://www.bookdepository.com/Spind.../9780854421503

It's the only modern shaper book I've found.

I wouldn't be without a shaper and feeder, one of the most versatile machines in the shop............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    That sounds like a good deal to me.

Many of the cutters in that box should be in a museum.

There's a nice clear plastic ring guard in there.

I suggest that you buy the book The Spindle Moulder Handbook by Stephenson. https://www.bookdepository.com/Spind.../9780854421503

It's the only modern shaper book I've found.

I wouldn't be without a shaper and feeder, one of the most versatile machines in the shop............Rod.
    Much appreciated. I know a shaper will be big help for cabinet doors, but really know very little about setup and getting the most out of it. Maybe I'll learn enough to keep one around after this project wraps.