Thread: steady rest

steady rest

I am looking to buy a steady rest for my PM 3520b. Google searches don't come up with much except plans to build your own. I do not have a welder so the Jeff Nicol design really isn't an option and I am not really a fan of the shop made wooden ones.

What I can find is:
    Robust
    Carter
    Advanced Lathe Tools.

During my search I found one that was similar to Jeff's design and looked to be built like a Mack Truck. However, I didn't book mark that one and now I can not find it.

Does anyone know of another manufacturer of quality steady rests? Right now I am leaning toward the one from Carter. Advice will be appreciated.

Steve Sinter at Advance lathe tools builds a great one.
    https://thesandingglove.com/Advanced...ar-Systems.asp

I have a Jeff Nicol rest from a while back, so I am not familiar with any others, but Robust quality is legendary as is that of Steve Sinner/Advanced Lathe. This one also looks interesting and is in the price range of the Advanced Lathe steady - http://www.theokspindoctor.com/product-p/sr-basic.htm. I have seen and used briefly the Carter and while it seemed solid, and is certainly lightweight, for some reason it just didn't appear to be stout enough though that is just a gut reaction. Folks that have it seem to like it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, the Clark is the one that I had seen and liked, but couldn't find again. The Clark and the Carter are contrasts in style that have me scratching my head. The Clark appears to be from the Mack Truck school of design and the Carter from the finely tuned sports car tradition. I saw the Carter a couple of years ago and although I admired it's multiple configurations, it just didn't seem to have the heft that goes with spinning large hunks of wood around on a lathe. That said, I have yet to hollow a form taller than 18".

I like the feature that the Carter can be used as a bowl stead while having the entire front open.

I would like to hear from some people who have used the Carter.

Thanks

Paul,

I've used the Carter for 3 or 4 years now and it works well for what I do. I usually start with a log 16" to 18" and usually end up with something in the 6" to 8" diameter before initial pilot hole drilling and hollowing. Not a monster piece of timber but still a pretty good chunk of wood. Stabilizes the piece the way I would expect it to. I'm usually hollowing 10" to 12" deep.

Never used anything else so I can't compare. I'm sure the Carter or any of the others you mentioned would work out well on your machine and you would be a happy camper. You'll see by the pic that I'm all Carter products. At the time I put the system together I was able to get everything with a 20% discount with a few freebie items thrown in, so it was a best bang for the buck deal at the time of purchase, for what I wanted it to do.

cvl.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I have the Powermatic 3520b and the Advanced Lathe tool steady rest for it. A couple of major differences between the Advanced lathe tool steady and the others are. #1 the size of the bearings, most brands use skate board bearings, ALT uses much larger bearings 2" dia. in the 20" steady rest if I remember correctly. #2 is ALT makes it's own wheels that are hard. There is no give to them. The wheels most others use are skate board wheels that are softer & will have some flex to them while under a load which translates into more vibration as the wheel flex. You can usually press down on most skate board wheels & you will feel a little give or sponginess to them, not so with the ALT wheels.
    I highly recommend the ALT as a Heavy Duty steady rest. I often turn 200 to 400 lb logs for vessels & the ALT steady is used on all of them.
    If you have any questions about them at all Give Steve Sinner a call & talk to him about it. He's always willing to help answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    I have the Powermatic 3520b and the Advanced Lathe tool steady rest for it. A couple of major differences between the Advanced lathe tool steady and the others are. #1 the size of the bearings, most brands use skate board bearings, ALT uses much larger bearings 2" dia. in the 20" steady rest if I remember correctly. #2 is ALT makes it's own wheels that are hard. There is no give to them. The wheels most others use are skate board wheels that are softer & will have some flex to them while under a load which translates into more vibration as the wheel flex. You can usually press down on most skate board wheels & you will feel a little give or sponginess to them, not so with the ALT wheels.
    I highly recommend the ALT as a Heavy Duty steady rest. I often turn 200 to 400 lb logs for vessels & the ALT steady is used on all of them.
    If you have any questions about them at all Give Steve Sinner a call & talk to him about it. He's always willing to help answer any questions.
    Listen to Joe. The Sinner design is well thought out and in addition to what Joe mentioned, it has safety features that most other designs lack.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    This one also looks interesting and is in the price range of the Advanced Lathe steady - http://www.theokspindoctor.com/product-p/sr-basic.htm.

Depending on your welding skills, this could be a DIY project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZaJdq4keo
    The main ring is from McMaster https://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=16l66nc
    These are available from 3" to 30"

The three tubes from the outside are generic steel tubes and bar. And the construction is pretty straightforward.

Obviously infers welding skill - something I'd love to ask my blacksmith friend for help with...

Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 03-02-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Paul, when I needed a steady for my Jet 1642 I built the Jon Nicol model. Since I do not weld, I found a local welder and had him do the welding for me. It was very reasonably priced. When I got my AB I ordered the Robust steady. As Steve says, it is a very well built steady and is very heavy. Because I have the Monster Articulated Hollowing System, I needed to not have a support arm at the 12 o'clock position. So, I had both steadies built with the support arms at the 9, 2 & 5 o'clock positions to accommodate the laser support arm. Brent England at Robust was very accommodating in making the steady to my accommodations. Just something to think about as you look at the different steadies.

10. I use the carter steady rest. The reason I bought it is you can move the wheels in location and orientation. I have four on mine. I have done hollow forms up to 20 inches tall and 13 inches wide. It has met my needs. I am sure there others that are heavier. Having movable wheels is a must sometimes depending on the application. I have also used it as a bowl steady, works well in that configuration also. I mad a couple of wooden ones and they worked but were not as versatile.

The Advanced Lathe Tools steady has the top support arm offset as well for added laser clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Paul, when I needed a steady for my Jet 1642 I built the Jon Nicol model. Since I do not weld, I found a local welder and had him do the welding for me. It was very reasonably priced. When I got my AB I ordered the Robust steady. As Steve says, it is a very well built steady and is very heavy. Because I have the Monster Articulated Hollowing System, I needed to not have a support arm at the 12 o'clock position. So, I had both steadies built with the support arms at the 9, 2 & 5 o'clock positions to accommodate the laser support arm. Brent England at Robust was very accommodating in making the steady to my accommodations. Just something to think about as you look at the different steadies.

I have the Clark System along with his hollowing tools. As you said they are the "Mack Truck" variety. They are stout. They will handle anything you can mount in them.

Get the Steve Sinner steady. You won't be disappointed.

The One way rest is more simple and cheaper than most of the steady rests available. I have used it many times on some big stuff without any problem. I have always wondered what two of these would work like and the cost advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    The One way rest is more simple and cheaper than most of the steady rests available. I have used it many times on some big stuff without any problem. I have always wondered what two of these would work like and the cost advantages?
    Own one of their bowl steadys also and use it frequently for steadying the rims of large platters for making my delicate beads. For this operation, only one of the two wheels is touching the piece. It can turn any direction, something that few, if any, of the circular steady rests can do, and it is surprisingly inexpensive for the ridiculous heft and quality of the product you get. That said, I have never used it for hollow forms (which I don't normally turn) so I don't know how well one (or two in tandem) would work for that. My guess is that even just one, with both wheels spread out and in firm contact, would be just fine for most small to medium sized hollow forms.
    A link to my homepage is in my profile.