Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8" Jointers

8" Jointers

Just got Dec. issue of Fine Woodworking. They review 8" jointers under $1,500. Grizzly came out on top. Pretty impressive for Grizzly!

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the info as I have been thinking about an upgrade from my 6" Grizzly.

gee I just was looking at that magazine myself and thought that the results would make quite a stir. hmmmmm lets see what happens
    lou

I know what you are saying Lou. I just hope Grizzly didn't get tipped off and send a ringer!
    I don't think FWW would do that, do you?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I know what you are saying Lou. I just hope Grizzly didn't get tipped off and send a ringer!
    I don't think FWW would do that, do you?

Richard
    no,there are not supposed to. interesting results though

Have any of you guys seen the commercial for Brown Securities? This one dude says that according to the report, we are the cheapest online broker. The customer says, "well I thought that XYZ was the cheapest?". No, according to this report, we are the cheapest. Who prepared the report? That would be "Selective Research".

------------------------------------------

So if you remove the DJ-20 as it costs more than $1500 dollars and you remove the general 480 as it also costs more than $1500 dollars, what is left? Sounds like "Selective Research" is on the loose again.

And how about the euro dudes? Well, I cannot recall a single big name maker offering an 8 inch jointer. Might be wrong here but I am drawing a blank. Felder, format, hofmann, martin, knapp, robland etc. are all 12 inches and bigger.

And who knows the current status of the powermatic 60. I gave up tracking that data when it became very difficult to ascertain who was actually making powermatic. That and the relative quality of the 60 equalized with the likes of Jet and Grizzley making it all about the same cup of tea.

I would like to hear some of the prices being offered on these. How close are they to this magic $1500 level?

And here is the real pickel in the cake frosting!

The current price on a NON X-5 (Which I dont believe in anyway by the way) is $1344 dollars and 99 penies. Shipping is no longer free. As per today's Amazon Catalog!

So it will be interestesting to read this article
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    I just hope Grizzly didn't get tipped off and send a ringer!
    I have to admit that this is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the rankings. I probably ought to give FWW and Grizzly more credit than that though.

Dan

8" jointer

Flyer from Grizzly has the G0500 at $695 with shipping $777. Hope its as good as they say, ordered it fri.
    Mike

When it comes to an 8 inch jointer, if anyone can design, cast rough castings, precisely machine these, add good reliable bearings and then pack it up and ship it to your door step for $777 dollars, your a better man than I am.

I cannot touch a US machine shop in my area for less than $250 dollars for a minimal base charge. The grizz folks must have figured out some new magic for making these that us old timers are not privy to.

But then again, the phrase "Buyer Beware" also pops into my mind. Hopefully we dont see creekers posting help messages to trouble shoot their new jointers. If a casting is incorrectly machined or not machined or warped, there is nothing I can do about it.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I am sure that Grizzly is great and for most hobbiest will be more than enough! I do have a DJ20, but sometimes I wonder if it was better to spend $500 more on it than the grizz.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I will once again stick up for the G0500, it's a fantastic machine. I owned it for over a year and a half, it hasn't let me down yet. By the way, my previous jointer was a DJ20. The best money I've saved.

chris
    chris

Had I had the space, know-how and $$$, I would sooner have gotten a Euro machine or found a bigger Northfield or similar. As it happens, at the time, I got the most bang for my buck, by getting a non-X5 DJ20. A year ago in June, I had that puppy delivered for $1150.00, complete with a mobile base. Amazon had their $50.00 off thing, some other Father's Day special and free shipping. Delta threw in the mobile base. Today, I'd still like a bigger one but, all in all, I believe I've got a machine designed similar to that of the "Big Boy" Euro machines and it's still the one many of the other "routine" OEM's aspire to. The parallelogram table movement is one of a proven design and the quality throughout leaves little to be desired. Out of the Delta machines I run, I've only had to deal once with them regarding CS and that was for parts I needed to properly setup a floor model contractor saw I purchased. In other words, I have found their products to be pretty much "set to go" out of the box, including the DJ20. IMHO, it was worth the extra $$ I paid over some of the other choices out there. In the end, though, as long as whatever you get performs to your expectations, then it's a good deal!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I will say I look forward to someday buying a Euro combination machine.

chris
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    But then again, the phrase "Buyer Beware" also pops into my mind. Hopefully we dont see creekers posting help messages to trouble shoot their new jointers. If a casting is incorrectly machined or not machined or warped, there is nothing I can do about it.
    Nope, we're all out happily using a great tool that we got for a excellent price with set shipping costs. By the way, my G0586 8" jointer was dead on right out of the box and only took about an hour to setup. I used the savings to buy the G0513 15" Planer. Still under $1500 for both machines together, but I will admit that the shipping on the Planer wound up being credited due to a sever case of whoops on the part of Overnite.

I'll go one step further and put in a plug for Grizzly CS - they were absolutely fantastic. One e-mail on the G0513 Planer shipping fiasco and they were on Overnite's case like white on rice. In the end I had an apology from Overnite along with my choice of:
    1) A new machine.
    2) Delivery to my house by Overnite with lift gate service during the evening of my choice.
    3) Delivery of a new machine by another carrier of my choice.
    4) A complete refund of all money paid.
    5) A super secret deal that made me very happy...

I went with 5!
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

I will have to say that after having ordered several machines from the Griz that I have been nothing but pleased. The machines have been of high quality, with excellent fit and finish and no need for customer service because everything has been perfect! However, when I have spoken with others that have used Griz's CS they have all been very pleased. I am at a real loss to figure why it is such hobby for some on this board to bash them for being inexpensive and made in ROC... If they performed poorly or were a bad company to deal with, then I could understand it but, they seem to be bashed because they are not made in the USA, Germany, Austria or because they are inexpensive.