Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like we'll be doing the Michelins.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Haney View Post
    We run Firestone LE2 on both of our vehicles...a Toyota Highlander and a Tundra. We're on the second set due on each due to good luck with the first set. We got approximately 80k on each vehicle with the first set, and have been impressed with snow, ice and rain traction. Proximity of the Firestone store was a contributor to the original decision, making it easy to get in for regular rotation and any road hazard issues. We also liked that there should be a store nearby wherever we might need service while traveling.

Andy Haney
    Sorry Peter. I made an error when I reported 80k on LE2. I had approximately 80k on the truck when I put those on. I did get about 56k on them, however.

Andy

I admire that some folks are able to eek out significant mileage on various tires, but my experience has always been to not get close to the rated tread wear. Much of that is because I'm not willing to run tires once they get much below 6/32 because of wet traction, etc. I do a lot of highway miles at 65-70 mph and like to be "rooted" to the road accordingly. So 40-50K miles is about the most I expect out of tires and that's with regular rotation and making sure alignment is checked at reasonable intervals, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My new vehicles come with Michelins installed. I have the dealer swap for Michelins if they're not standard equipment.

One thing to remember is that tires have a useful lifespan measured in years as well as miles, typically 5-6 years depending on climate. If you only drive a given car 6K miles a year, they're ready for replacement at 30-35K regardless of how much tread (or warranty) is left.

(I haven't actually "worn out" a set of tires since I retired.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I'm the odd ball here. We run Hankooks on our vehicles. My 90 Honda Civic has two on rear that are "timed out," despite only having 100K on them. I order my tires thru Walmart and have local store install them. Last set for wife's SUV were $60 dollars cheaper online, and were in store next day. Store they said it would be at least week getting them in if ordered thru store. Go figure.

My truck (Ram 1500) came with the Goodyear Pro Series. 10 ply 18" (I think) and were warrantied for 75,000, (talking KM here in the North! - 47,000 miles). I got 86,000 out of them and only changed as it was fall heading into winter, plus they had a buy 3 get 4 sale. Replaced them with the same tire which are now warrantied for 95,000 - 60,000 miles. Fully expect to get it.

They rotate every 10,000 for free and fix flats for free. Got them at the local Fountain Tire and like them so much, I put them on the daughter's SUV (2006 Dodge Durango).

They are quiet, run all year round, and I am very satisfied.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I'm the odd ball here. We run Hankooks on our vehicles.
    Had Ventus V12's on the Boxster and the Corvette, loved them. Started out with them when I discovered that a set of four for the Porsche were $100 less than the two rear Michelin PS2s it needed when I bought it. Will probably replace the all-season Michelins on the Honda with them when the time comes...if not sooner: it's not like I see a lot of snow around here.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

I run Firestone Destination A/T 10 ply on my 2500HD. The ride is nice along with the other specs. Go good in dry, rain and snow. Not the greatest mileage out of them. I've had 3 sets of different tires on my truck and they all go for about 35K miles before I think they need replacing. Usually because winter is coming up and the tread is getting shallow. If there was no snow I'd probably get another 10K out of them.

The reviews on tirerack tend to be quite useful. It really depends on what kind of driving (and what you are willing to pay to achieve marginal differences in performance). Brand is not a particularly useful distinction, as big companies like Firestone or Michelin make tires that run the gamut from cheapo pedestrian to exotic special purpose racing tires.

I second Tirerack. I don't believe Michelins are worth the price. I run whatever gets good reviews. I've used Bridgestones, Dunlops, Conti's, you name it. Recently bought some very cheap Sumitomo's based on Tirerack reviews (like $110 per tire). Works and looks great so far. On a all wheel drive BMW.

I just replaced 5 year old Michelins with 35,000 miles on our Escape. They had a ton of treadlife left but were cracking between the treads. Reading this appears to e a common Michelin issue.

I prefer to buy tires from a major regional chain. They are actually competitive with Tire Rack overall on installed tires, but for another $20 a corner they offer a road hazard warranty that includes rotation, balancing, alignment checks, flat repairs and replacement if not repairable (and they are quick to pull the trigger on replacement over repair if there's any question.) And they now have a Cooper-made store brand that gets great reviews and great pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I admire that some folks are able to eek out significant mileage on various tires, but my experience has always been to not get close to the rated tread wear.
    There may be a few other factors also. Some people seem to put 20-30K miles per year. That must be a lot of highway miles that should be fairly easy on the tires. Most of my miles are stop and go city driving or winding country roads. Both conditions lead to a lot more tire wear.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    There may be a few other factors also. Some people seem to put 20-30K miles per year. That must be a lot of highway miles that should be fairly easy on the tires. Most of my miles are stop and go city driving or winding country roads. Both conditions lead to a lot more tire wear.
    Sticky tires on a sports car. DAMHIKT.

I have a Prius also 180,000. Breaks replaced at 125,00 tires a different story, never more than 40,000 no madder which brand.