Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non. yellowing finish for live edge counter

non. yellowing finish for live edge counter

I'm looking for recommendations for a non-yellowing finish to use on a live-edge counter top made of eight quarter ash. I tried a few test samples with oil based poly and varnish, and Target Em6000, and they all add too much yellow to the wood. The yellow is problematic for my wife's color scheme. The counter will be placed in front of two large windows. Though they are new windows and will have uv protection in the glass, I wonder if that placement will affect the finish choice. The slabs will be close to 20" wide at the widest part if that matters.

Thanks,

Nelson

Is the counter top in the kitchen where its going to see some hard use or elsewhere, Nelson? For hard use I would try General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly. For lighter use GF High Performance. Both are clear (ie won't yellow the wood). Of course the Ash might change color as it ages with the sunlight naturally (although the UV glass will help some)

Thanks, Andy. Yes it is in the kitchen.

Nelson

I would look at SW's Kem Aqua Plus. It is a WB Acrylic with UV stabilizers in it. It's similar to GF's HP Poly, but a lot more durable. GF's Enduro Clear Poly is a great choice, too, but has no UV package, so the wood will age even if the finish doesn't, as Andy mentioned.

SW's may have some other offerings, too, since they acquired Sayerlack, I'm just not familiar with them.

John

Thanks John. I contacted SW, and it's only available in 5 gallon cans. I can't use that much.

Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Howe View Post
    Thanks John. I contacted SW, and it's only available in 5 gallon cans. I can't use that much.

Nelson

Not according to their website: http://oem.sherwin-williams.com/prod...ua-plus-clear/

But if the web info is wrong and it really is only available in 5 gal cans, then I'd go with GF's Enduro Clear Poly.

John

Thanks again. I see that now. Must dig deeper. Perhaps the barrier has to do with being the hobbiest instead of the pro.

Nelson

Also, John, any idea if I could rub the gloss out to matte finish, or would I be smarter to get it in a matte? I thought the flatting agents had a tendency to soften the product. But I suppose since it won't be a perfectly smooth finish, I'd be smarter to get the matte.

Nelson

Go with the gloss level you want to finish with. Bear in mind though that lower gloss finished shine up with use over time.

My recommendation for non yellowing clear for bench tops is a uv stabilised 2 pack polyurethane. See what brands are available to you. Cheap ones don't have the uv stability usually. Cheers

Wayne, I'm not aware of any 2 pack poly's available to the non-pro here in the US. There probably are some, but I don't know who makes them or how they are available - and that's the problem. Companies that make those products don't market them to non-pros. It's not a 2 pack poly, but even SW's Kem Aqua Plus is unknown to anyone who doesn't know what it is and to specifically ask for it at SW.

John

Maybe you guys are victims of the clean air laws. Even if I didn't have access to accounts with all the major global paint manufacturers, I can still go to any half reasonable paint store or chandlery and get access to any and all auto, industrial, protective or marine products on the market. I have a smorgasbord of 2 pack clears available to choose from. I didn't realise that this access is not the same everywhere. Are you sure you can't just walk into an auto paint supplier and buy 2 pack clear by the litre? I can do that at 8 retailers in my nearest town and it is only 80000 population.

I do understand the reasons for the clean air concerns in the northern hemisphere but it catches me by surprise every time. Can't complain though - Californian clean air laws help keep me in a job. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I don't know too much about finishes but wouldn't the 2 part West System be good for this type of application?

I've never tried the auto paint shops, Wayne. You are likely correct that I could get a 2 pack poly through one of them. OK, it's on my list of places to stop this week. I have an exterior door project coming up and it's going to face West and have no storm door, so the finish needs to be top notch. My only limitation is it also has to be waterborne, unless I spray it in my garage perhaps.

John

John, there are plenty of water-borne auto finishes. Good luck with the search. Cheers

Interesting ideas. The SW reps felt that the Key Aqua Plus was not appropriate for the application. I don't know why. They recommended something else, but at the moment that link ends in a 404 error. My General Contractor, who does a lot of floors very well, is recommending this product: http://www.loba.de/us/products/waterborne-finishes.html.

I'm not sure I want the poured epoxy bar top look I associate with the 2 part clears.