Thread: What's wrong (or right) about this technique?

What's wrong (or right) about this technique?

Last month I saw an antique dresser that had a unique stepped design so I couldn’t resist drawing it up as a future winter project. I have most of the design drawn up and am working on the construction of the end rails and panels. On the original cabinet they used 1 &#189;” corner posts which also functioned as legs. The ends were constructed of 3 rails of various widths (&#190;” thick) one at the top, middle and bottom. In between the rails were solid wood panels that I believe were 1/4“ thick. I’m assuming that the rails were mortise and tenon into the corner posts and that the 1/4“ panels were set in a 1/4“ groove both in the rails and posts.<O</O
    So, here finely is my construction technique question. For me it would be easier to cut a 3/4” deep groove in the corner posts to accept a 3/8” tenon on the rails as well as the panels. I would then run a 1/4“ groove along the top of the rails for the panels to sit in. The concern that I have is that the ends of the 1/4“ panels will now be sitting in a 3/8” wide groove in the posts. Is this something I should be worried about? Also, what if I put a 1/4“ tenon on the ends of the rails instead of the 3/8” tenon that I was planning on? Will a 1/4“ tenon, 3/4“ deep be strong enough? The width of the rails vary from 2 &#189;” to 6”. Thanks for your input.<O</O
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Fritz; 10-19-2005 at 10:47 AM.

The 1/4"x3/4" tenon should be plenty strong for your application. That is the way I would go. I wouldn't want a 1/4" panel floating in 3/8" grooves personally. I know you wouldn't see it since it would be on the inside, but there would be an unsightly groove opening on the ends.

Remember that 1/4" plywood is usually .230 or less so that plywood panel will be loose in a real 1/4" groove.

Good luck, sounds like a good project.

John

Remember that plywood panels need not float. They can be glued in to the groves in rails and legs, making the structure quite strong. The only wood movement issue out of this is with the widest rail, and at only 6" wide that should not be of much concern.

I would do as Steve suggests and glue in the plywood panels, however to do this your groove has to be even smaller than 1/4 inch.

I would probably mortise and tennon the rails and then cut a separate groove for the panel. This way you won't see the groove in the top of the post. Also, if you go with a 3/8" tennon, you can then route a groove between the mortises on the router table. You can start in the mortise and then route to the other mortise. Works great!