Thread: Work bench

Work bench

IMG_0167.jpgI've just completed my wood worker's bench. Size is 36" high by 24" wide and 65" long. The 2x4's were purchased from
    Home Depot. The total cost including the two vises was about $175.00 while the labor involved was about
    24 hours, not counting the time for glue setting.
    Since this was my first attempt at this kind of a project I was wondering if anyone could put a dollar value
    on this finished bench.
    thanks for any feed back
    tony

Last edited by Tony Kuret; 03-04-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Had to insert image

It seems that the image is not visible. Is your intention to make more of these to sell?

I think I fixed the image problem. No don't plan to sell just interested in your opinions of the value. I might make a couple more for gifts for son and son in laws.

Nice. Dogs are useful. What kind are you using? I assume you are making them from dowels. I bought two brass dogs from veritas, then made two more from dowels - just as useful. I glued rubber to the flat faces of the dogs - glad I did.

Value is based on comparable benches in catalogs or what you see at Rockler. Then you will be valued at about 10 - 20 bucks an hour. Personally, I want a bench with flush inside faces and full width tail vise faces. I like the channel down the middle - great utility. Its de-valued from using construction lumber though - will warp, will dent, etc. Beech is the most common bench wood. Mine is beech frame structure with formica laminate interior - still glad I did that cuz dried glue and finish just pops off.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Hard to put a price tag on it. Maybe post it on ebay?

Clearly it's worth more than the parts. It should be worth more to you than anyone else as you designed it as meeting your needs.
    It won't be tailored to everyone and they will look for every reason to cut the price; too high, too low, wobbles etc.
    Finding a commercially made bench you like is very difficult. If you want to get a realistic price for a bench build you have to custom make it for the client.

I'm using 7/8" dogs made from a dowel with a 3/8" bullet catch. I made several dogs for about $10.00 in materials.

I don't want to advertise it for sale, I just hoped to get a ballpark value estimate.

$1200.

I would base that on what the Sjobergs sell for knocking off a little for the SYP.

If you're planning on much hand tool work, I would suggest adding a leg vice and a dead man but you can get by with out it.

Nice job!

Leg vise vs face vise is a debatable point. The guys at Woodtalk love them; the guys at FWW Shoptalk hate them. I think the best vise is the one you put on your bench. You can find ways to hold anything with almost any kind of vise. They all have pros and cons.

Your bench looks great! Enjoy!!!

I will say that if you are contemplating making them for resale, you'd do better to offer customizations. Your tool well, end vise, and dog hole placement are a little less of a common set up from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-09-2017 at 10:11 AM.