Thread: Removing Delta 37-315 8" Jointer Infeed/Outfeed Tables

Removing Delta 37-315 8" Jointer Infeed/Outfeed Tables

I'm restoring a 1978 Delta 37-315 8" Jointer, and am not sure how the Infeed/Outfeed Tables come off. I can loosen the gibs and see if the threaded height adjustment shafts come off. But before I do anything, I'd like to hear from someone who has done this in case there's something I ought to be doing. Both tables are held to the base with a dovetail arrangement and the gibs apply pressure to one side only. The manual isn't much help. Thanks.

I seem to remember that they just kept unscrewing all the way. Do not drop the gib as it may break since it is cast iron.
    I bought my jointer used so there may have been a safety pin or bolt to stop them from coming all the way down and off that some one removed. The table is heavy and awkward once it is free. takes some doing to reinstall I would set a milkcrate under it to set it down as soon as it comes free. Also helps during the install.
    Bil lD.

Bill, what did you use (if anything) to lubricate the ways before you reassembled the tables? Thanks for your response.

Jeff

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Lubricate the ways with paraffin (canning wax). Cast iron parts will move easily and dust doesn't stick to it.

You should go over to OWWM , there are at least 10 threads and articles on restoring all versions of that jointer, as well as manuals and parts diagrams. I have it's predecessor, a 37-301. Very good machines when properly set up.

I lubed it with graphite powder. Do not use oil or it will grab sawdust and make a hard thick grease that locks movement.
    If you can not get graphite look for lock lube or maybe teflon in a spray can.
    Bill