Thread: Spalted Maple Vessel

Spalted Maple Vessel

Hi all. Spent the last few days on this piece. Fire burning in the woodstove and slightly warmer days. Turning is great therapy for a winter weary mind

Anyway....this is a spalted maple hollowform with walnut stuff jazzing it up a little. The raindrop is made from acetate something or other. I just call it bullet proof glass. Stands 11 inches tall by about 5 inches diameter. Finished in 4 coats of high gloss lacquer.
    It was a fun piece to churn out and will be a gift to my brother.

Thanks fer lookin'
    5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hey John ... The Vase and Finial are spectacular .... the pedestal doesn't really thrill me.

The finish looks great !!

Tim

Thanks Tim
    Yup...I'm not crazy about the pedestal either but it should keep the vessel dry if there's a flood or something
    ~john

Another beautiful piece. Envious of your artistic skills. I also like the shape of the vase, I hope it never sees a flood.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Hey John,

I really like the "spalting " that's going on. Very attractive.

What's going on with the rim? Is that a natural edge? Whatever it is, I like it!
    Be Blessed

George

The shape and the vase and the finish are really spot on, John. I think that the pedestal takes away from the vase shape, though. Plus, I wonder, even though the pedestal is quite wide at its base, if it's a bit tippy.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks everyone...the pedestals on my pieces have been a sore spot for many people over the years...although most folks seem to like them better in person.
    A long time ago, I decided to do something "a little bit different". I figure it's probably time to abandon the style...but I'm so dang stubborn.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Another beautiful piece. Envious of your artistic skills. I also like the shape of the vase, I hope it never sees a flood.
    Thanks William....I'm afraid it's not artistic skills with me. I have no artistic eye as far as I can tell. It took me nearly 5 years just to get my head wrapped around the idea of the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    Hey John,

I really like the "spalting " that's going on. Very attractive.

What's going on with the rim? Is that a natural edge? Whatever it is, I like it!
    Thanks George
    Yup...natural edge. Just a maple log laying in my shop developed the spalt...and I just picked a spot near the crotch that seemed to have some nice character.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    The shape and the vase and the finish are really spot on, John. I think that the pedestal takes away from the vase shape, though. Plus, I wonder, even though the pedestal is quite wide at its base, if it's a bit tippy.
    Thanks Grant
    Nope...not tippy at all. In the early days, they were, simply because someone came up with a standard ratio "that looks good", but I found that when they fall off the table, it hurts my feelings so I decided to go with a slightly larger base. But really, they don't look or feel that large in person.
    ~john

really nice. thanks for sharing. Gives me inspiration to keep trying.

I like the pedestal. Very nice turning.

Larry

Love the shape. Great bail bucket if it does flood!