Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler Branding Iron

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rockler Branding Iron

I received a wonderful Christmas gift from my son and his wife. Totally unexpected and an awesome surprise, I opened up a box containing a custom branding iron from Rockler. I was so excited, I still haven't stopped thanking them. I carefully filled out the form for the custom name of my woodworking business. It was a coincidence that the limited 20 characters was exactly the amount of letters and spaces in my business name. I received the custom head about 2 weeks later, and to my dismay, the lettering was wrong. Plus, they only gave me 19 characters instead of the 20. I immediately emailed them, informing them of the mistake. The CS rep was not helpful at all, telling me that I was the one that made a mistake and they are not responsible. No questions about what I requested nor any effort to rectify the issue. All that was said was "No Refunds/No Returns". I begged them to at least look into my issue, but they were right and the customer is wrong. I then contacted Rockler , and told them that the company that they source their heads from "orderbrandingiron.com, were not customer friendly. In fact, the rep had a nonchalant attitude without actually saying "Tuff Luck Sucker". Rockler stood behind their source for the branding iron head, saying they rarely make mistakes! I average between $1500-$2000 a year in purchases from Rockler, and since I can't find any resolution to my issue, I will never spend another penny there. Woodcraft just opened a store in my area. Rockler is one hour drive for me. The new Woodcraft is 1.5 hour drive, but I will make the sacrifice. I'm sure some of you have had good experiences with Rockler branding irons, and Rockler in general, but I just thought I would inform you all of my experience. Jim

I understand your feelings. I got the same branding iron for my birthday and the lettering was okay.

While you may not feel willing to do this, I'd suck it up and pay to have a new head made. The iron is a good tool and you'll like it after you get the proper lettering.

Then go to Woodcraft from now on

Mike

[I'm surprised that Rockler didn't make any attempt to work with you. A compromise could be that you each eat half the cost because it's impossible to prove where the mistake happened.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-05-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What's the CS reps email address? I'll bet a few thousand emails from members here would change his mind.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I know it's a bit late, but you probably should have made a copy of the form you filled out, then you have a leg to stand on. My experience with Rockler has been positive, go higher up and not deal with customer service.

I'm surprised Rockler doesn't have a 'no fault' replacement policy - since either the supplier or customer could have made a mistake, the customer gets a new head at cost. The customer has to pay some small fee to keep them from abusing the system, and Rockler is more likely to keep happy customers.

I can tell you that Woodcraft CS is excellent. I had a minor shipping issue and they took care of it promptly.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

There is plenty of good CS stories with Rockler. I was just researching something and pulled up an old thread praising them. You can't publicly pile it on because of one bad experience. You must have had plenty of good transactions if you spend $2k a year with them? I have never bought anything from them so I don't have any either way.

It should be an easy one to resolve. It clearly says not responsible for customer error when filling out the request for the brand, pretty standard for custom items. You should have a copy of it. It's either your mistake or theirs, shouldn't be a grey area on this one. These days with cell phone cameras it is so easy to snap a pic of something like that?

If you posted the form and the brand and it is indeed their error then pile it on. If not...........

sorry it happened to you and it can be maddening, but threads like these are potentially pretty damning to people trying to run a business and feel maybe, just maybe it was your mistake?
    Last edited by Jebediah Eckert; 03-05-2017 at 7:39 PM.

If they paid by credit card you might still have recourse. I'd ask the to call the credit card company.

Ive had good luck with. http://www.brandingirons.com/

Jebidiah is probably right. I shouldn't have bashed Rockler for one mistake. I didn't post this to bad mouth Rockler, as much as I did just to warn others to be aware when ordering a branding iron from them

I had the exact same experience with Rockler and their branding iron. I feel your pain Jim.

I forgot to mention that their resolution was for me to purchase a new head, saving me the cost of buying the whole setup. But it was a gift, and a gift isn't supposed to cost you money. I didnt make a copy of my order, but I do know the name of my business, and made sure the name contain the correct amount of characters including spaces. I suppose I could have made a mistake, but I triple checked. I really gave up on getting this tesolved and don't want to cause my son and his wife the credit card hassle, so I'll just eat it. I even told Rockler that I was going to post on the forums, but no response!

Glad I stumbled upon this thread because I was just about to pull the trigger on one of their irons. I haven't yet because of that "no refunds/returns" policy. It is precisely mistakes like these, along with that policy, that has made me hesitant. And now I'll find another place. Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Snyder View Post
    Glad I stumbled upon this thread because I was just about to pull the trigger on one of their irons. I haven't yet because of that "no refunds/returns" policy. It is precisely mistakes like these, along with that policy, that has made me hesitant. And now I'll find another place. Thanks for posting!
    I have a Rockler branding iron and it works great. I had no problems. I would advise making a copy of your order before final submission using Snip or screen capture to safe guard what you submitted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It always amazes me the ignorance of some companies decisions regarding customer complaints. When you consider the cost in advertising dollars to acquire just one customer it seems to me a pretty simple decision. TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER, they are always right (at least in their minds). They just did the unpardonable sin in business, they accommodated themselves and not the customer.

Bill, in the case of a branding iron, one may think it's an only purchase as, who needs more than one ? Therefore, why should they need to bend over backwards to please someone who will not be buying from them again anyway ? However, I had occasion to buy a second branding iron from a company with the prospect of more. After getting good service and a good price on the first one, they nearly doubled the price on the second one, which was even smaller, nixing my decision to buy that one and any more. I've given up trying to figure how some businesses do business.