Thread: Porter Cable 4212

Porter Cable 4212

I have been looking at the Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig. I got a chance to get one from a gentleman who wants to sell it. He said he used it twice and put it back in the box. He wants a $100 for it. I would really like to have it but he said he lost the bit and doesn't know where to get one. He says only Porter Cable bit will work with unit. I find that hard to believe. It calls for a 17/32" by 7 deg. Is this a specialized bit? I guess I won't buy it if they are that hard to come by. Thanks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

2. Bernie,

I've been looking at the same dovetail jig, and from what I understand it's a "specialized" bit by Porter cable, but whiteside does make a replacement. http://http://www.woodcraft.com/fami...&FamilyID=5279

Also, if you look at the porter cable literature on the PC website regarding the 4212, there are other bit combinations that will work.

Best,
    Christopher

Hey Bernie,

I just bought that same jig from Rockler. I had a $15.00 off coupon and $50.00 gift card. I just did some test cuts this last weekend and so far I really like it. Anyway, when I was buying my jig I was checking to make sure it came with everything I noticed that Rockler had a bag sitting on their display model and it was labeled "PC Dovetail Jig". Inside the bag it had all the accessories including the bits. So to finish up this long winded statement. Try checking with Rockler to see if what I saw will work for you.

Good Luck
    Tim

I would also think about the price he is asking, remember you will need to buy the bit and that is about $20 and now you are up to $120 and you can but a new one for $139. That way if you have any problems it can be returned or corrected.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/w.../port/4212.htm
    Floyd in Missouri

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I think like Floyd said it would be better to spend a extra $20 and get a new one with all parts. I feel a little better about it. Everything I have read said it is very easy to use and for the price I can afford to get a dovetail jig. If I had a unlimited budget the choice probably would have been different but when the accountant of the house talks you listen.

Would like to hear from some who have this unit and their thoughts on it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,

For more info on this jig, do a search on "PC 4212." You'll get a wealth of reading and some pix from users. (See my post of 9-17-05.)

Bill