Thread: Festool Saw Questions

Festool Saw Questions

Hi All,

I have a few questions about the Festool circular saws.

First, what is the difference between the ATF 55 E, AT65 E and the new ATF 55 E Plus, AT 65 E Plus?

If I get one of the last old models, will I be sorry wishing that I had gotten the "new" model?

Second, is the extra 5 lbs in weight of the AT65 E worth the added cut depth? Is the lighter ATF55 E a better deal due to the lighter weight?

Third, if I order one, are there some accessories that should be ordered along with the saw? I have a Festool sander and dust extractor so I am ready for the dust collection.

I plan to use this saw in my home shop to handle panel cutting duties and to suppliment my table saw and Milwaukee circular saw.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Greg,

The saws that are currently available are the ATF 55 E and the ATF 65 E. The ATF 55 is being replaced by the TS 55 which will be available in January. There were plans of replacing the ATF 65 here with the TS 75, but that won't be for a while.
    The weight vs depth of cut is up to you. The saw is almost always used with the rail on a horizontal surface, so weight isn't too much of an issue once you take it out of the systainer and place it on the rails. For panel cutting and the like, the 55 may be the better way to go.
    Consider a pair of clamps, a dflector to keep the cord and hose from snagging on the rail and either get another 55' rail and 2 connectors or a single 106" rail for the full rips in sheet goods.

Bob
    bob m

Greg
    I would stick with 55 if you are using it for cutting panels. I would suggest another 55" guide rail and a couple of Joining connectors, and clamps, or instead of clamps the Gecko's work great, you can use them for carrying the anels also, (I know Festool says you can't, but I have not had any issues) I have used the new TS55 and it is a great saw, but I have an ATF55 and that is just as good, the TS55 does have Plug-It connector and an extra splinter guard on the right side of the saw. But for the price the ATF55 is on sale for right now I would get it. I have added a plug-it cable to my ATF55 so the only thing I don't have is the extra splinter guard, but I have never needed it.
    Hope this helps.

Paul

While the ATF is definitely a great saw and very tempting at its current price the TS 55 offers a variety of nice features (no must haves IMO). This subject has been discussed several times, for example here.

I don't know about the difference between the ATF 55 E and the ATF 55 E-Plus. According to Festool Germany's terminology, Plus indicates that a tool comes in a Systainer. But as there's no non-Systainer ATF available in the USA I don't know what Plus means in this case.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

I contemplated the same essiential question when I was preparing to buy mine last year...and decided that the ATF55 was the perfect match for anything I would want to use it for. (I neve intended to use it for other than panel work or where a guided saw is an advantage) I've only had one cut where the depth was not sufficient and that was when I was notching my benchtop for the vice...it was 1/8" shy and easily remidied by a hand saw to complete the cut and a hand plane and chisels to clean up that little bit of waste area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you will use it for 8/4 rough stock straight line prep, you might get the bigger one. I have the 55 and it cuts dressed 8/4 , but not rough at full depth
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Just posted under "Multi-Gloat..." of my new ATF55 bought from Festool on their closeout discount. Check it out.