Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: box joint and jig question and advice sought

Edwin Santos: I have the older Keller jigs (1600 and 2400) and they work as advertised.

Hopefully I will build a new tool cabinet this year -- about 16" deep, 42" high, 27" wide, dovetailing the carcass. Thought about utilizing the Keller in the router table, but have a question. To reduced friction as the jig moves across the router table, did you apply any UHMW "tape" to the jig -- cutting out around the jig fingers?? Or, maybe a good application of Johnson's paste wax to the jig and router table??

For those Not-In-The-Know:

UHMW -- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...dth-1-32-thick
    Keller -- http://www.kellerdovetail.com/
    Keller video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEYM7HNcPw
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 03-13-2017 at 2:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Thought about utilizing the Keller in the router table, but have a question. To reduced friction as the jig moves across the router table, did you apply any UHMW "tape" to the jig -- cutting out around the jig fingers?? Or, maybe a good application of Johnson's paste wax to the jig and router table??

Ray,
    Yes, I used a few strategically placed strips of thin UHMW tape on the jig. It was less about friction and more because I didn't want to risk scratching up the anodized router table insert plate. It's important to make sure the pan head screws on the pin jig are tightened down really well or they may be ever so slightly proud of the jig surface and cause scratching. Paste wax is a good idea also. Good question.

I ended up buying the 2401 to go with the 1600 because there are times I like the wider pin spacing from an aesthetic viewpoint. These jigs have worked very reliably for me. Ed

Good article in Fine WWing Dec 2014, issue 243 on Greene and Greene blanket chest with box joints on larger stock. Instructions with pics for a custom jig look fairly simple and would work well for larger production runs. I can send copy if interested.

Ed Santos: thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Good article in Fine WWing Dec 2014, issue 243 on Greene and Greene blanket chest with box joints on larger stock. Instructions with pics for a custom jig look fairly simple and would work well for larger production runs. I can send copy if interested.
    Yes john can you send link, an article that addresses "box joints on large stock' would be helpful.

thanks.