Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta DJ-20 vs Grizzly 490x

Delta DJ-20 vs Grizzly 490x

I'm currently hunting for my first jointer and am going back and forth between a number of different choices all in the 8" size.

I'm pretty sure I want a helical head simply for noise if not for a slightly cleaner cut, but other than that I'm waffling a lot.

That being said I've read all about the DJ-20 jointer as sort of being the holy grail of the 8" jointers, but that the Grizzly 490x is a modern clone.

A DJ-20 showed up on Craigslist today, 20 years old with straight knives with an asking price of $925. If I add a shelix head to it I'm now sitting at $1400 or so which is the price
    of a 490x new.

At what price point is the DJ-20 worth it? Is there really value to a 20year old machine over a brand new one, or is it really about finding this type of jointer at the best price point possible. Under what circumstances would someone pick the DJ-20 over a 490x?

Too rich for my blood, I'd go new at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    Too rich for my blood, I'd go new at that price.
    +1. And with the tragic legacy wrt customer service and parts availability that is Delta these days, I'd go Grizzly in this case in a heart beat.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

A third vote for Grizzly. I passed on a DJ 20 at 600...At some point new and delivered to your door is worth something.

A +1000000 to everything above. Go with Grizzly at that price. I have a Shop Fox 1741 which is the same as the DJ20 and G0490. I put a byrd head in it and couldn't be happier.

I've had the 490x for maybe 3-4 years now and have been very happy with it. It's a straight forward if not simple design that hasn't changed much over the years because it works just fine.

This is one of those machines where I wouldn't pay more for the same design with a different color of paint. Good parts, good manufacturing...good enough.

I'd have to say go with the Grizzly too. The problem with buying anything Delta these days is the lack of parts. If anything goes wrong, you're mostly out of luck. I'd rather pay more for not only a new machine, but for one that I know will have customer support for years to come.

Thank you everyone! I was wondering if the DJ-20 was lubricated with unicorn's blood considering how many people look for them

I would not pay the same for a used DJ_20 as a new Grizzly either,however I would not be nearly so concerned about "availability of parts" with used Delta stuff. If you find any used jointer that has all castings intact, and flat tables and fence that is all you really need. Belts ,bearings and electrical switches can all be replaced easily from multitudes of sources. Mike.

Not sure if the delta DJ20 has a built in mobile base like the Grizzly G490X.

I really like the ability to move the G409x when I need to. Mine is parked next to my table saw, and occasionally it is in the way, but moving it is a non issue, it is so easy with the built in wheels.

Another straw in favor of the G409x possibly...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

The problem is that DJ-20 is overpriced. You can get a lot more jointer used for $1,000, that's getting into the old iron 12" range.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The problem is that DJ-20 is overpriced. You can get a lot more jointer used for $1,000, that's getting into the old iron 12" range.
    Sadly around here in central Ohio people seem to think a rusty 30 year old Delta is worth 900 if it runs and is an 8 inch machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Sadly around here in central Ohio people seem to think a rusty 30 year old Delta is worth 900 if it runs and is an 8 inch machine.
    Hobby sized machines are often the most overpriced and honestly they tend to sell at a premium to much better quality industrial machines. I watched an auction last month where a Grizzly 17" bandsaw sold for more than an Oliver 217 30" bandsaw (in very good condition) which on the face is ludicrous. However, hobbyists really are the buyers for traditional woodworking machines today, most of industry has moved to CNC and for a hobbyists they have familiarity with Delta, Grizzly and Powermatic and either don't have the room, don't want to deal with the logistics, are confused about 3ph or simply are concerned about parts and condition of 40+ year old machines. I get it, I fall somewhere in the middle and often lean to the I want it NOW vs patiently waiting for that perfect machine. Me personally I would much rather have a PM60 but one in good shape should be around $550-650 and that may mean a buyer has to be a little patient and be willing to drive a little bit to get a reasonable price on a good machine. That said the recent sales prices for excellent examples of DJ20s seem to be in the low $700 range. In the end the Delta legacy may be a little too polished since there weren't a made in the US Delta, the PM60 on the other hand is very well built but honestly lightweight jointers like the Delta and Powermatic aren't the serious step up that some of the heavy eight 8" jointers were. The only issue with the Grizzly currently is the availability issues that seemed to have plagued their smaller jointers and planers over the last few months.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

What Van said. The DJ20 was a decent got the job done machine but only average by machine standards. Mine was made in Taiwan and tables and lips were within about .006-.008. Cast iron was medium fine but not like what you find on the old stuff. My 12",16" and 24" jointers all are more flat- within about .002-.004 which is significant given the additional surface area. Having said that, I'd take a jointer I could check the table on personally over one ordered sight unseen. I have no faith that todays jointers use a better grade of cast iron, are as heavily ribbed, and ground to a degree of flat better than the old DJ 20. The advantage of a 20 year old jointer is that the tables aren't likely to move anymore. Price might be a little high. If tables were flat to less than .005 I'd feel the price reasonable. I haven't looked at mine but if it has a US Marathon motor that is preferable and worth considering. The parallelogram design is better than a wedge unless the wedges are separate from the table. Then a wedge is superior. Head is least important in my world so not a deal breaker. Tables are. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Hobby sized machines are often the most overpriced and honestly they tend to sell at a premium to much better quality industrial machines. I watched an auction last month where a Grizzly 17" bandsaw sold for more than an Oliver 217 30" bandsaw (in very good condition) which on the face is ludicrous. However, hobbyists really are the buyers for traditional woodworking machines today, most of industry has moved to CNC and for a hobbyists they have familiarity with Delta, Grizzly and Powermatic and either don't have the room, don't want to deal with the logistics, are confused about 3ph or simply are concerned about parts and condition of 40+ year old machines. I get it, I fall somewhere in the middle and often lean to the I want it NOW vs patiently waiting for that perfect machine. Me personally I would much rather have a PM60 but one in good shape should be around $550-650 and that may mean a buyer has to be a little patient and be willing to drive a little bit to get a reasonable price on a good machine. That said the recent sales prices for excellent examples of DJ20s seem to be in the low $700 range. In the end the Delta legacy may be a little too polished since there weren't a made in the US Delta, the PM60 on the other hand is very well built but honestly lightweight jointers like the Delta and Powermatic aren't the serious step up that some of the heavy eight 8" jointers were. The only issue with the Grizzly currently is the availability issues that seemed to have plagued their smaller jointers and planers over the last few months.
    An awful lot of hobbyist would rather make sawdust than restore old Iron. I get that. I have been wanting a PM 60 for two years, cheapest I have seen one go was 750 and it sold before I could call on it. Some things like radial arm saw and scroll saws sell cheaply, lathes are not hard to find, but decent jointers at a decent price are not common on the used market.