Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Saw

Craftsman Saw

I was over at Sears this afternoon looking around while my truck was being serviced.Took a few minutes to look over the Craftsman 22114 Cabinet saw.This saw is a dead ringer for my 6 yr.old Craftsman contractor type saw.Only difference is they sit it on top of a cabinet instead of legs.This is the same saw that I cannot keep the blade lined up on.When I bought mine it was listed at $799.,bought it on sale for $699.Now the same saw is listed at $999.Only difference is the base.Any one thinking about buying one of these look it over very carefully.I have my saw up for sale,hoping to get a little out of it to put toward a quality saw.

The saw is a hybrid saw which is basically a suped up contractors saw. No secret there really. They do have cabinet mounted trunions. The difference is, your old craftsman CS was not made by the manufacturer of this saw. As far as looks, most contractors saws look pretty much alike with regards to their bones, but they don't all peform the same. These saws are made by Orion. I have heard no complaints on this saw with regards to alignment of any kind.. or any other problems as far as that goes. Actually I take that back, Scott Spencer here bought one had a problem and got a replacement and no further problems that he has mentioned. From what I have read, everyone who owns this saw is very very satisfied. This is a good saw, unlike your craftsman contractor saw. Delta also makes a dead ringer to this saw ( actually orion makes it as well) only it has top mounted trunions I believe.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 10-16-2005 at 7:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    I have my saw up for sale,hoping to get a little out of it to put toward a quality saw.
    Dale - I sold some Craftsman power tools over the past several years, as I upgraded to "real" tools. I advertised in the Phoenix paper and easily got half of the current pricing on a similar model. Usually the first preson to see the tool bought it. Good luck.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Corey,hate to differ with you but the saw I looked at today is identical to my saw.Just set up in a cabinet instead of legs.Call it a hybrid or whatever,it wouldnt even begin to compare with a Shop Fox,which doesnt cost that much more,let alone a Unisaw or a General.Hope I can sell my Craftsman POS for half of what Ive got in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Rodabaugh
    Corey,hate to differ with you but the saw I looked at today is identical to my saw.Just set up in a cabinet instead of legs.Call it a hybrid or whatever,it wouldnt even begin to compare with a Shop Fox,which doesnt cost that much more,let alone a Unisaw or a General.Hope I can sell my Craftsman POS for half of what Ive got in it.
    Hate to differ with you, but Corey is right.You must have a rare contractor saw if it also has cabinet mounted trunions. The Beis fence is also nice and the motor does not hang out the back. No one I know of has said it compares to a Uni and not many folks have paid full price. Let's not start bad mouthing tools here that a lot of folks here own. But you are right, it is not a Unisaw.
    A very happy 22124 owner By the way, the 22114 is not the saw that list for 999 and does not have the full cabinet.The 22114 list for 679.99 and it does have cabinet mounted trunions also.
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 10-16-2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

My neighbor has that CMan saw. It cuts straighter and smoother with the factory blade than my 2 Grizz saws with a Forrest blade ever have. The "real" Beisemeyer fence is very nice. It is dead flat. My shop fox fence is soooo wavy, that I have a hard time getting smooth rips.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Ok Dale & I hope you are able to get a saw you love!

Corey

Well fellas ,I know what I looked at over at Sears.Not here to bad mouth any brand.But the fact is,when I buy that new saw it will not be a Craftsman POS.The saw I have now is fine for cutting framing matl.,rough work,etc.but for cutting panels true and ripping perfectly good wood true,it leaves a lot to be desired.Have learned my lesson with Craftsman power tools.Their hand tools are just fine and reasonably priced.Course anything you buy at Sears has to be on sale.Their list prices are way too high.Go back 3 or 4 yrs.from now and try to buy replacement parts for that saw and see what happens.It will be phased out with parts no longer available.Some other co.will be making their saws.I am not bad mouthing a brand,I have just learned an expensive lesson,and I will never buy another Craftsman power tool.Hope you guys that are buying them have good luck with them.

[Well fellas ,I know what I looked at over at Sears.Not here to bad mouth any brand.But the fact is,when I buy that new saw it will not be a Craftsman POS.]

Geez, hate to see what you'd have to say if you WERE here to bad mouth any brand.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Hughes; 10-17-2005 at 8:20 PM.

[QUOTE=Dale Rodabaugh]Well fellas ,I know what I looked at over at Sears.Not here to bad mouth any brand.

If that is the C-man saw with the full cabinet all the way down to the floor, I recommend that you get a flashlight & go back & look underneath the table inside the cabinet again. It does have cabinet mounted trunnions & your old saw doesn't. Thats not to say you'll like it any better but this saw is not a dead ringer for your 6 yr. old Craftsman contractor type saw.

I'm not saying you have to buy one just take the time & a flashlight & go & take another look. Don't pay attention to how they set the saw up most store employees don't know how to set a saw up anyway.

I don't really care personally I have a old used Unisaw rebuilt by me & yes I used to have a 1997 C-Man saw that I gave away. It was a good starter saw & I will again have a C-man saw one day that is my Dad's saw made in 1955 there is a lot of difference between the 2 saws. I still have the cabinet you see under the C-man saw in the picture & it will go under my Dad's C-man saw I will be hauling it down to his place the first week end of Nov.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 10-17-2005 at 9:03 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Sounds like a bunch of Sears associates here.Go ahead and buy the Craftsman power tools,hope you have good luck with them.As for me I will spend a little more $$$$ and buy a real saw.

I don't know what the problem here is, but why do you insist on bashing a tool!?!? That is what other forums are for, not here. You made your point, however, they are not the same saw, far from it.

Also, go back through my posts and view my stuff, all of it was made on a saw 3 steps down from the one you are bashing!! Also, read my signature, it is HIGHLY true!

Finally, until you use the saw, how do you know it is a POS!?!? Things change over time and there are a ton of happy users of this saw. I have read one bad reveiw of the saw, from someone who ACTUALLY used it, not someone who made Assumptions. (And you know what they say about Assuming someting!).

Finally, I had a Craftsman benchtop jointer. Was it a POS no! Was it a DJ20 NO! I made some great projects with it, however, I out grew it, that is fine. It is now working in someone else's shop. It made square edges and that's all I could ask for

Full disclaimer: I work for a child company of Sears Holdings However, that has not influenced my opinions above. I had many of the craftsman tools before we were bought by sears
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Well said Jeff!

Dale, I have to say that it sounds like your intent is specifically to bash the Craftsman tablesaws. To the point that your information is contrary to the specs of the machine, and to the knowledge of several folks here that have seen or put their hands on the saw. So far everyone I've read reports from, who actually own and have assembled the machine, have had really good things to say about it. Not one of them has described it as the old contractor saw dressed in a cabinet. I seem to recall that the new saws have received some good reviews from the ww mags as well. And, no, I do not own one of these new saws. I already have a saw that meets my needs for now. It's even a contractor saw. And, no, I'm not a Sears associate.

You have absolute control over your dollars and are free to choose whichever saw your heart desires, but just bashing a brand because you may not want it doesn't add any value for the rest of us here. It might be different if you had actually used and had bad experiences with the saw.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

This is my last comment on this issue.I bought a Sears Craftsman saw about 6 yrs ago.At the time it was their top of the line saw.Total cost with tax was around $735.This saw has turned out to be a POS period.I will be the judge of that,as I own the saw.There is no way a Sears salesman or saleslady is going to dissassemble a saw for me to look at the underside.What I saw was the exact dupolicate of my saw ,table, adsjustment, and everything visible.Am I going to take another chance and buy another one from Sears?Not in this lifetime.I have bought lesser power tools from them and went back 2 or 3 yrs.later for a replacement part and am told that the tool is obsolete and we can no longer get parts for it.When I spend good money for a tool I expect it to last for many years,not just til Craftsman decides to change suppliers.I have in my shop a Craftsman drill press which is a good piece of equip.I also have a Cman radial arm saw which works perfectly good.Also and old 1950 lathe and jigsaw,purchased used which work very well.The radial arm saw is about 15 yrs.old also purchased used.So I do have some Cman stuff that I am OK with.I have posted that I hope everyone is happy with thier Cman hybrid saws,and I hope they are.But for me having got bitten once by Sears on the table saw they will not get another chance.

Dale, that is a fine rant! You feel that the saw you own is a POS, thanks for the feedback!!

The new saw may or may not be a POS, can't judge that w/o running it, which you and I have not
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"