Thread: wood planer

wood planer

Hi folks. I'm in the market for a wood planer. Ive been looking at the PM 15hh and 209hh. It seems the 15hh has good reviews but some folks have complained about it being under powered. So if I go new I will probably get the 209hh with 5hp. I have also come across a older 1997 PM 180 on Ebay that is within two hours of driving for $2500. It is 5hp single phase. The biggest concern I have with the 180 is the time it takes to set and sharpen the blades and its a very heavy machine. I will be fabricating a mobile base for any of the machines as I have quickly outgrown my space. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.
    Thanks

The Powermatic is a far superior machine, by far. I have the little brother in pea green when a Byrd head. It's one of my favorite machines in the shop. The caveat for you, is the 180 is so big/heavy I don't think you could make it movable in the shop. Perhaps I'm wrong, because if it's doable, I'm sure a creeker has done it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Montroy View Post
    The Powermatic is a far superior machine, by far. I have the little brother in pea green when a Byrd head. It's one of my favorite machines in the shop. The caveat for you, is the 180 is so big/heavy I don't think you could make it movable in the shop. Perhaps I'm wrong, because if it's doable, I'm sure a creeker has done it!
    If we are talking older Powermatic, yes. The new Powermatics seem to be virtually identical to the Grizzly, Shop Fox, Jet, General International, et al.

And I will second the mobility thing...Older Powermatics are very, very heavy. I would not want to move one around on a regular basis.

Well, from my own perspective (as the owner of a dinky DW735), any of those options sounds like a good move. It sounds like you might be willing to go with the higher cost for the peace of mind of knowing you bought right the first time. If you can swing the cost, and expect to be using this tool a lot, then having the Shelix head sounds like the more important feature in your decision making process.

You are right Chris, I was talking about the old pm180. Built like a tank and weighs add much too!

They are not that heavy and it does not take very long or is it difficult to change straight knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Montroy View Post
    You are right Chris, I was talking about the old pm180. Built like a tank and weighs add much too!
    I am looking at Older Powermatic planers as we speak. I need to finalize a band saw purchase first however...

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They are not that heavy and it does not take very long or is it difficult to change straight knives.
    Also, helical heads are available from Byrd for older Powermatic planers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Well, from my own perspective (as the owner of a dinky DW735), any of those options sounds like a good move. It sounds like you might be willing to go with the higher cost for the peace of mind of knowing you bought right the first time. If you can swing the cost, and expect to be using this tool a lot, then having the Shelix head sounds like the more important feature in your decision making process.

Depends on what he is planing I think....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Also, helical heads are available from Byrd for older Powermatic planers.
    I don't care for Byrd heads, or any of the other perched style heads.

I will never swap a straight knife for Byrd style head. I may consider a hermance if a head is junk in a machine.

Also, pm180 only weighs 1200 pounds tops. That is not heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I Also, pm180 only weighs 1200 pounds tops. That is not heavy.
    It's all relative Darcy! Most guys have a lunchbox planer remember.

Knife changes are easy if you get magnetic setting jigs instead of using the gib screws

Blog Entries
    I think you may be over thinking this. I have a DW 734 that does everything I have ask it to do. My first one was a the original lunch box planer, a Delta.

How much time do you spend thickness planing?

Each of us have different concerns.