Thread: painting over lacquer

Post painting over lacquer

I have a 30 year old dresser that is stained in that ugly old maple look of the 70's and finished with lacquer. it is in great shape, but ugly. How much sanding? Does de-glosser help? Best primer? Best paint, oil or latex semi-gloss?
    I don't want it to peel

I'm not an expert finisher by any stretch but I think I would wipe it down first with mineral spirits just to remove any wax, etc. Then lightly sand with 320 or 400 paper and then spray with a colored lacquer; lacquer over lacquer should be fine. Anything else over it, I dunno.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Not necessary to overcoat with lacquer, and unless you would spray the lacquer top coat, it wouldn't be desirable since the solvents in the new lacquer could damage the old lacquer. Spraying allows those solvents to evaporate fast enough avoid damage. But other finishes wouldn't be likely to damage the old lacquer, assuming it was still sound, Over time lacquer can deteriorate so it becomes more susceptible to milder solvents such as alcohol. I'd test the old finish to see if alcohol will soften it. If so, I would strip the old lacquer and start anew. I would also clean the surface well, using mineral spirits to remove oily dirt, and water with a few drops (only) of something like Dawn dish soap. Then light, even, sanding with 320 is fine.

BIN shellac based primer is good. I like oil based enamel, but many like acrylic enamel. In either case, use the best material you can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Not necessary to overcoat with lacquer, and unless you would spray the lacquer top coat, it wouldn't be desirable since the solvents in the new lacquer could damage the old lacquer. Spraying allows those solvents to evaporate fast enough avoid damage. But other finishes wouldn't be likely to damage the old lacquer, assuming it was still sound, Over time lacquer can deteriorate so it becomes more susceptible to milder solvents such as alcohol. I'd test the old finish to see if alcohol will soften it. If so, I would strip the old lacquer and start anew. I would also clean the surface well, using mineral spirits to remove oily dirt, and water with a few drops (only) of something like Dawn dish soap. Then light, even, sanding with 320 is fine.

BIN shellac based primer is good. I like oil based enamel, but many like acrylic enamel. In either case, use the best material you can find.
    good thoughts--thanks

thanks- I am not experienced with colored lacquer, but many praise it. I appreciate your experience

I agree with Joe if you are spraying. A good clean, wipe with a not too aggressive solvent, 320 grit sand and apply tinted lacquer straight over the top. Over coating with other types of product risks bleed through some time down the track, so if going with oil based etc. strip and start from scratch. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

A few years back I painted a bed - headboard, footboard, and rails - that had been commercially stained brown and finished with some type of hard conversion varnish. My wife bought if off Craigslist and my kid wanted it painted white, the brown stain didn't match the bedroom decor. I sanded everything with 220 grit, primed with white BIN shellac primer, lightly sanded the primer, then top coated with brushed on Sherwin-Williams arcylic latex. Color was Snowbound, an off white. Paint has never peeled, but it has worn through in a few spots on the footboard from use, but it doesn't look bad, kind of gives it an antique look. If I had to do it again, I would spray on the top coat with my Graco airless unit rather than brushing the paint on; didn't have the Graco back then.