Thread: Best Place to Sell Equipment

Best Place to Sell Equipment

Where/how do you guys recommend selling used machines? Craigslist, Ebay, ??

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post

Dan
    I’ve had mixed results with CL and I’ve found it depends on the area. Seattle was easy to sell stuff but Chicago takes forever. Stay away from Offerup as they are loaded to trolls spamming. I haven’t personally tried ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post

Dan
    Yes. And forums.

Forums, eBay and Craigslist. Dont think there's really much else other than maybe garage sales and auctions if you have access to those.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

CL has always worked for me with anything up to $1k - normally goes very quickly (as in the same day) and have rarely had time wasters

For smaller, shippable items I use the forums. The heaviest item I ever shipped was a Bench Dog cast iron table saw router top extension. Anything heavier goes on craigslist. I've sold a Ridgid jointer, Craftsman tablesaw, and Delta planer among other things that way.

Regardless of which method you use, please give an accurate description of the item along with a realistic condition. No one likes surprises. In addition, post clear, sharp, in focus and properly exposed photos. If there are no photos, I don't bother calling. If the photos are bad, I don't bother calling.

Finally, do your research on your price and post a realistic price. I once saw an ad for an open stand, 6-inch jointer advertised as a "professional" machine. The guy had a price of $1500 on it. Couldn't have been worth anymore than $300 at most. Post a realistic price and expect to haggle some.

Just my 2 cents...

Ebay is good but you'll lose 10-15%. If it's local pickup,cash only will save you the PayPal fees. I've had some luck on vwwm if it's an old machine.

ive bought a few machines off the Facebook marketplace.

Woodweb.com has a machinery exchange forum for commercial/industrial equipment that I have used successfully. Ex-Factory, MachineKing and others act as middlemen for similar gear on commission. Be prepared to crate/arrange for shipping. Doug's guidelines are right on for presentation.

Ads with your local woodworking club is the best one for me by far.

Next is word of mouth. Are you friends with any woodworkers - put out the word. Tell them to tell their friends. There's probably a friend of a friend who wants it. But since nobody puts the word out - they don't ever find out. I ran into that trying to buy a small boat...

Also put out the word on here. This is a super high traffic board... An average post can get over 1,000 reads in one day. There are a lot of folks who read but don't post much.

Another good one is local woodworking supply stores will often let you sell on consignment. This is good because it sells without you being there to sell it.

Craigslist also works. And don't forget to post in multiple local areas craigslists.

Dont neglect putting a notice on facebook.

As do local for-sale papers. And especially in local area equipment for sale papers....