Thread: Morso Mode F trimmer?

Morso Mode F trimmer?

I have been looking at these. I have a Lion trimmer but find it to be of limited use for what I do. I like the idea, just not the execution. This one with the foot pedal and the blades at 45 degrees seems to be a better mousetrap.

Anyone using one, and are they useful for anything besides picture framing? I was wondering how they would be notching mullions?

Larry, I used one of these years ago when I worked in a picture frame shop. It is an excellent tool for cutting miters for frames and such. If I had room for one in my shop, I'd have one in a heartbeat.

Blog Entries
    I had to look it up to see what it looked like:
    NOW you tell me...

Larry,

I own a picture frame business doing exclusively hardwood frames and we use ours daily, but there's no reason it wouldn't work equally well for woodworking mitres. They are the best/cleanest/most accurate mitre cut you will EVER get. Take a look at picture framing forums or Aim enterprises used framing equipment site and you can get one pretty cheap. I bough a 30+ yo machine and it works like a dream. Knives are super sharp and can be resharpened dozens of times. No moving parts, everything is adjustable.

FWIW, the fellow in this video uses one several times while making a small box.

I have a model NFX that we use for doing french miters on beaded cabinet doors, a lot like doing beaded face frames. This model has a flat knife on the "nose" (you can get various widths) that lets you cut notches with 45 degree corners. It works pretty well.
    JR

Larry, that is a good video showing the cutter. Too bad the operator seemed so clumsy when cutting the moldings.

Yes,, but that voice sure is soothing.........

The NFX is cool but I never see them for sale used. Could you do small moulding on a 45 with that machine as well JR? I use my Lion trimmer on coffered ceilings, works well for the run of moulding that cover up the fasteners. But it seems you could not do the notches well with the F.

The trimmer we had in the framing shop was the same as that one and we did skinny little "diploma molding" and big heavy molding for large mirrors and such. Just take more cuts on the larger stuff.

Blog Entries
    That thing's a beast. I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Yes,, but that voice sure is soothing.........

The NFX is cool but I never see them for sale used. Could you do small moulding on a 45 with that machine as well JR? I use my Lion trimmer on coffered ceilings, works well for the run of moulding that cover up the fasteners. But it seems you could not do the notches well with the F.
    If you put a subfence on the front to run the flat nose into, then yes. Or hold the moulding against the back fence and ignore the front fence altogether, then yes.
    JR