Thread: Olive Burl Vase

Olive Burl Vase

Here is a burly olive vase I made today, made it fit nicely with a glass insert. Dimensions are 4 by 7.

Comment and Critiques all welcome.

Blog Entries
    Oh no you didn't put a bunch of cheap plastic pens in that beautiful HF?
    Have a Nice Day!

I like it, but I completely identify with Jon's objection to the store bought office supplies used to adorn it... That baby deserves hand crafted writing instruments if it's gonna be used to hold writing implements. I'm only forgiving you because it's such a nice looking piece.

Laughing at Jon. I'm sure the pens are only to give a size perspective and were accidentally placed in the vase rather than near the vase. I'm sure it won't happen again....

Captivating grain there. What finish did you use? The photo on the lathe it looks like some urethane or lacquer, but in the finish photos, it looks like oil??
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

haha, sorry guys, i felt bad when i put those in there but I don't have any lathe turned pens yet, haven't ventured into that area. Perhaps one day.

Jon, I went to buy more of General Finishes Bowl finish the other day and it is no longer sold in California, so at the suggestion of one of the Rockler guys I bought this stuff
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...filter=butcher

So far I like it and I especially like its container, no more cans. So to answer your question it is an oil. I slop a lot of it on there and let it sit for a few minutes then rub the excess off. Only 2 coats on there, I think I might do a few more see if I can get her to shine.

6. Nice turning of the olive burl.

Rockler 'Butcher Block Oil' is just common mineral oil; it's absorbed into the wood but will not dry.

Alex, really a nice turning, and a beautiful piece of olive burl. I still need to do a piece with that olive you sent me a while back. Hope it turns out as nice as that.

Can't speak to the pens - mine would include old fashioned pencils! Maybe a couple of these pen makers will take pity on you and send you a couple "on loan" for photographic purposes!

Nice looking vase. The lighting or the shine is nicer on the lathe IMO. Hope you can capture that!

Really nice piece. I like the form and the inclusion looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

hi john, been a long time, you ever making anything with that olive burl, id love to see a pic. randomly happened back onto this website. havent turned in years sadly. maybe one day ill get back to it.

Absolutely fantastic piece