Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with my TS blade sharpening nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Unfortunately a shop near me does similar work. I send my cutters to a place in the next state. Its an extra few bucks in shipping but, everything comes back perfect so far.
    Have you ever tried Daily Saw in LA?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

FWIW - Last year I sent several of my old Freud blades to Dynamic Saw and the results were fantastic. Approximately a two week turn around.

Blog Entries
    So if they only sharpen the face of the tooth, not the sides, only a burr from sharpening or a bent tooth could make a rough cut like your test piece if the blade previously cut clean. Correct? I am surprised that just hitting one brad would dull a carbide blade to the point of not cutting pine.
    NOW you tell me...

The one problem you can run into with improperly sharpened blades is next guy takes readings off existing blade to set up grinder. You need to send the blade to a shop who knows what the tooth angles are SUPPOSED to be. The more blades they do the more likely they are to have this info stored in computer. No matter where you send blade, TELL them about problem so they don't duplicate it.

My first question is a tooth bent?

As far as grinding goes, if they're doing it on a cnc, they punch in the grind, the angle, and the tooth count plus a couple.

If they aren't top grinding, it won't be right. It also depends on what grit they run to for cut quality.

Shipping blades somewhere to be sharpened is foolish in my book. I had a dude working for me trying to talk me into sending blades to somewhere in New York because he thought my carbide guy wasn't doing a good enough job. No. By the time I go somewhere to ship, pay to ship, pay to sharpen, pay to ship back, I can't justify it. Just pitch it in the can and order a new one. But my carbide guy picks up and drops off, and I have zero time for it any other way.

I can ship (with a return label included) from my shop to Carbide Processor's and have a blade sharpened for $30, plus $5 per broken tooth. I have a 12" Forrest Chopmaster on my SCMS sharpened by Carbide Processors that had 2 broken teeth in June 2016. Total cost: $44.50 and $15 in shipping. Still cuts like butter.

Anyone who says "no one sharpens a Forrest blade like Forrest" has never had a blade properly sharpened by another vendor (I'm not knocking Forrest - but I will not wait 75 days for a blade to be returned). It's not rocket science - it's a vendor just carrying about their work.
    -Lud

I like Ridge Carbide in Lyndhurst, NJ. A little pricey, but he blades come back really sharp. Also, I prefer their blades over Forrest. I have both and really feel that theirs are better.
    CPeter

Blog Entries
    Adam,

I don't know your location, so this probably will not help.

"Circle Saw" in Houston has successfully sharpened 10" table saw blades for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My first question is a tooth bent?

Shipping blades somewhere to be sharpened is foolish in my book. I had a dude working for me trying to talk me into sending blades to somewhere in New York because he thought my carbide guy wasn't doing a good enough job. No. By the time I go somewhere to ship, pay to ship, pay to sharpen, pay to ship back, I can't justify it. Just pitch it in the can and order a new one. But my carbide guy picks up and drops off, and I have zero time for it any other way.
    I guess you never heard of flat rate boxes from USPS. Postman drops off box, picks it up and UPS guy brings them back. Unfortunately most of don't have a guy who comes and picks up blades, so we use USPS flat rate boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I guess you never heard of flat rate boxes from USPS. Postman drops off box, picks it up and UPS guy brings them back. Unfortunately most of don't have a guy who comes and picks up blades, so we use USPS flat rate boxes.
    For the pro with pick up drop off service it is great for hobbyists like myself shipping is easier than dropping off and picking up myself. My closest drop off is 30 minutes away in normal traffic, 2 hours of my time (plus gas and car wear and tear) during business hours is worth more than my best blades I would have to wait until I had 6 or so to sharpen to be worth my time to make 2 round trips. I can pack and print a label in about 5 minutes and can have it picked up or drop it off at the post office which I drive past at least 5 days a week. That said a retired guy might welcome the excuse to get out of the house, everyone has a different cost benefit analysis.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I still have to pay for that box and get that box. Say it takes half an hour if it goes well. I'm basically out a hundred bucks at that point, I might as well just order another blade online while sitting on the throne

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I still have to pay for that box and get that box. Say it takes half an hour if it goes well. I'm basically out a hundred bucks at that point, I might as well just order another blade online while sitting on the throne
    Or with a little planning, you could order priority mail boxes online and have them dropped off at your shop or home. You can stuff at least 8 in one with cardboard in between them and ship it for $12. You will probably save $10 or more a blade and be money ahead. You could even have your helper do it if you can't handle that kind of hassle.

But it is likely that your current way of doing things is just fine...for you. A "carbide guy" needs folks like you to stay in business and put food on his kids' plates. Shops like yours and others keep him in business. But for the rest of us that can't even find a guy, we can simply pack up a blade (or three) and send it off for sharpening and wind up with a much better blade for less money. I gave up on the local carbide guy when he charged me 50 cents an inch for 6" jointer knives and ground them to about an 80 grit finish. Before I learned how to sharpen them myself, I just bought new ones.

For what its worth, Dynamic Saw sharpened an industrial Freud 50T combination blade very well, but ground off the anti-kickback things a little. It was wicked sharp though. Approx. 25 dollars a blade shipped to and fro, including a couple of broken teeth. I'll be sending three or four next time.

Dan

In my wood working world, nothing in this thread would fall into "NIGHTMARE" category.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    In my wood working world, nothing in this thread would fall into "NIGHTMARE" category.
    Amen Mr. Sincerbaux.
    We (the U.S.) have become Exaggeration Nation.
    Or Indig-Nation.

Getting back to the original post, I'm among those whom think it might be a bent tooth.
    Since the PO measured the run-out of the blade, I'm assuming that he has a dial indicator and stand. If so, he can set it up to indicate on the sides of the teeth and actually measure to see if one is bent.Then he could mark it and take it back to the saw shop and ask them to correct it.
    Just an idea.
    Rick